Friday nights (part 1)

Listening to Frank Ocean and suddenly had the urge to write. So here I am 💁🏾‍♀️

****
The bright city lights and the busy lively streets reminded me of why I loved London. The dark midnight sky, the tall building silhouettes and street lights gave me nostalgic vibes as I thought back to my younger days. The days were I would dream of growing up so I could explore the city at night. Vivid flashbacks of me sitting in my dad's car as he would speed through the city and I would stare out the window in awe. Dreaming of what I was doing now. And as much as I scream about how much I hate London, and how I cannot wait to go to uni and go abroad, if there is one thing I cannot deny is that London is a beautiful city. A beautiful city filled with hopes and dreams, and nowhere could give me that nostalgic feeling. Why? Simply because London was home.

As I stepped out the cab I smiled. The crisp night air caught me by surprise but for once in a long time, I felt happy and excited. I had hope. Hope that I could actually be happy again.

"Serayah! Let's go. Hopefully the bar isn't too packed!" My new colleague Janet said.

"Hopefully. I need a fucking drink." Reem another colleague said.

How I ended up here was beyond me. But now wasn't the time to overthink. I wanted to live in the moment.

I smiled. "Let's go."
***

*Couple hours before*

I took a deep breath as I walked into the glass building. I straightened my skirt and walked in as if I owned the place. The building had that effect. I don't know if it's just me but certain places in the city just made me feel boujie, as if I owned the place. And my Aunty's law firm had the same effect.

I walked straight to the reception area in awe of the building. It looked like The Ritz. It was stunning. I had never been anywhere this luxurious, especially considering the fact that this was in fact a corporate law firm. Everything looked polished and expensive. Everybody looked polished and expensive. I could even smell the money in the air.

As I approached the reception desk there were two ladies who were the exact opposite of each other. The first lady was an older woman with deep dark skin. She was beautiful. She appeared to be in her 50s and dressed very old fashioned with her shirt buttoned all the way to her neck. Her black and grey tresses was pulled into an extremely tight low bun, held in place with a butterfly clip. She reminded me of my grandmother on my father's side. Strict and unfriendly. In contrast, the other lady was a mixed race girl with free flowing curly hair. She appeared really young in her mannerisms but also because she had a really innocent baby face. Her face was dolled up and she chewed her gum obnoxiously whilst filing her nails in a carefree manner.

They both looked up as I approached them. The young girl smiled. As I was about to open my mouth the older lady put her hand up signalling for me to stop talking.

"Let me guess. Another lost person. Janet sort this out I haven't got time for this." She said before leaving the desk.

"Wow." I said taken aback.  Shocked and upset was an accurate description. I gulped. If everyone was like that here I'd take my ass back home because I don't have time for this.

The Janet girl put her nail file down as she turned to me. She also looked shocked by her behaviour. "I am so sorry sweetheart. She is in such a cranky mood this morning. Mrs Jones is usually so friendly. Anyways how can I help you?"

"I'm looking for Mrs Owusu's office. I'm starting an internship with her today and she told me to ask for her at reception when I got here."

She smiled nodding, she quickly typed into the computer, pulling out my details "Okay there is a note on the system regarding something like that. Can I confirm your name?"