i'm freezing but you're warm enough for the both of us

the metal chairs on the balcony were freezing.

they held the chilled air and froze ryan through his blue jeans and the black sweatshirt he'd stolen from shane. ryan turned in his chair, looking through the glass doors that led back into his apartment. he could see shane's faint silhouette through the glass and where he lay on his stomach in bed. he had passed out as soon as he hit the pillow three hours ago, but ryan was restless. he couldn't sleep.

ryan turned back around, looking over the bright city before him. his eyes fell on the large buildings and the few windows still lit up, on the streetlights and the cars that passed under them, however little of them there were. he tilted his head back and closed his eyes, breathing in the cool, sharp air of the los angeles night. he let his eyes slip open as he remembered how the stars looked when ryan would travel to the midwest for a location. how he wished he could see such beauty through the sky in LA too.

he let his mind wander, thinking about everything between his family scattered across the city before him and the little piece of comfort he had that laid right inside his little city apartment. he thought about the things he had to do tomorrow, and how they would play out according how he mentally planned them. he thought about everything occupying his mind as if thinking about it would stop it from running circles in his head. running circles like a broken record that no one would pick up off the stereo because no matter how much they hated the repetition, something stopped them from stopping the record.

ryan sighed, running his fingers through his short hair and exhaling audibly. he stood up off the metal chair, shivering, and opened the sliding glass door slowly. he closed it behind him and made his way back to where shane laid asleep.

he got himself under the duvet covers, stirring shane in the process. shane turned onto his back slowly, looking up at ryan with sleep heavy in his eyes.

shane turned onto his side, close to ryan. "you smell like the city." he said groggily, gripping the arm of ryan's sweatshirt.

ryan exhaled. "i was on the balcony."

"can't sleep?" shane hummed.

ryan looked up from shane to the glass doors across the room. "no."

"i love you." shane simply said, still half-asleep. he turned onto his back and slipped back into unconsciousness.

ryan looked back down at him before sliding out of his jeans and all the way into bed, resting his head on shane's chest just under his collarbone. these simple moments helped ryan clear his head more than he realized.

"i love you too."