Friday

By Friday Nancy was slowly starting to adjust to life alone. The silence of the manor house was eerie, she kept the dogs inside with her always, the sounds they made throughout the day helping to make her less lonely. Ruth visited for a couple of hours every day to clean and cook, updating Nancy on news from town.

"Sabini's men have been seen in the casino, surveying the place. Mr White says you should expect a visit from him soon to discuss business-"

"I will not do business with a gangster," Nancy replied, stroking Max's soft head as he rested it on her lap. Winston lay curled up by her feet. Max had been named by her and Winston by her husband, named after the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. "The casino is not for sale."

Ruth's eyes widened. "You're not selling? To anyone?"

Nancy shook her head. "Abe built his businesses up from the ground, he made an honest living from them. I will not see them overrun by men like Sabini. The casino is legitimate. And that is the way it is staying. With the Fitzgerald name above the door."

Ruth said nothing more after that. She left a pot of soup cooking on the stove, wishing Nancy good luck for her first night back at the Scarlet Lady. Frank had told her she didn't need to come in, but for once she wanted to. There was no better feeling for her than standing on stage singing a song that meant something to her, and tonight that's exactly what she planned to do.

She hummed to herself as she entered the quiet kitchen to stir the soup. So much for one person to eat... The three dogs followed her wherever she went, almost as if they were worried to leave her on her own. An empty bottle of rum sat by the sink, it had been full only hours ago. Ruth must have found it when she retrieved the large soup pot from the cupboard and decided it was best to dispose of it properly. She left not a single droplet behind.

The vegetable soup smelled so good, she was tempted to take a bowl now. Ruth had told her to wait until 5, it was only 4. She stayed next to the pot, basking in the smells it was giving off. The bottle of rum looked back at her from across the room. It had been the last one. There was no more in the house, and that's the way it would stay.

There was a knock at the door. The first. A well-wisher or a businessman? She didn't care to find out, but curiosity got the better of her. The door was opened slowly so that she could get a good look. A smartly dressed businessman's jolly face greeted her. "Hello, I'm Reginald Matthews-"

"Are you here about the casino?" Straight to the point and abrupt, that was Nancy. She observed his mouth twitch, answering the question for him.

"I came to express my sympathies-"

"Did you know my husband?"

"Well - uh, no, not exactly-"

"Casino's not for sale."

The door was slammed shut in his face. Nancy watched him leave in his fancy car, smiling to herself. It was a nervous smile, an unsure cautious smile. He may have been the first, but he certainly wouldn't be the last. Ruth said the casino was the talk of the town. It appeared every businessman in London wanted it. She would refuse every last one of them.

By 5 o'clock she was ready for some soup. The dogs watched the spoon in her hand, waiting for something to drop. She had two servings, along with some slices of bread. After leaving the dishes by the sink to wash up later, she headed upstairs to her room to change. On a usual Friday night, she would be getting ready for work while her husband was getting ready for his night out. They would spend that time in silence, finding themselves with nothing to say to one another.

Tonight truly was spent in silence. Nancy would miss having someone to talk to most of all. No one was there to tell her how beautiful she was when she came down the stairs, a habit her husband always had. Alex pulled up outside, honking the horn to let her know he was there. Nancy said goodbye to the dogs, wrapping herself up in her fur coat. She got into the back of the car, telling him where to go despite him already knowing. They did this every Friday.