Favours

"He's here!" Edna Williams exclaimed, rushing into Mr Fitzgerald's office with excitement, blonde curls bouncing. She straightened herself out in Nancy's presence. The young widow was sat at her late husband's desk, sorting through mountains of paperwork accumulated over the past week. Nancy had never liked Edna working as Abraham's secretary, she was young and pretty and a distraction. Secretaries shouldn't be a distraction. However, she was thankful for her now and for the amazing cups of tea she made.

Nancy glanced up from the letter she was writing, eyeing up the pretty girl with uneasiness. After a moment of silence, she nodded her head. "Send him in."

Nancy remained sat at her husband's desk, dressed all in black again. The funeral was two days from now, she promised herself to stop wearing black after that. Edna entered the office again, this time escorting three men, one of which was Darby Sabini. He grinned when he saw her. "Cousin." He greeted her with a kiss on each cheek, embracing her awkwardly.

"Cousin," she repeated, embracing him back. "Are you well?"

"Better than you I imagine."

Nancy returned to her seat at the desk, Sabini sat down opposite her. "What can I do for you?" she asked, despite already knowing the answer.

He linked his hands, resting them on the desk. "I'm here to talk business."

"Casinos not for sale."

His eyes narrowed, his lips pursing. After a moment of silence, he slammed his hands against the desk, making her flinch. "Dammit, Nancy! I said business, I'm not interested in buying the casino!"

She scowled back. Family or not, she wasn't about to be spoken to like that, especially by him. "We are not doing business together," she spat back.

"Nancy, we're family. Blood is thicker than water-"

"So they say." She leaned back, eyeing him up with suspicion. The cogs were turning, slowly falling into place. "Was it you?"

"Excuse me?" he questioned, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Did you have him killed? Thinking that I'd be soft enough to do business with the likes of you after he was gone?"

Sabini's face was blank and emotionless. A smile crept across his lips as he laughed. "I never killed your husband, Nancy."

"I never said you killed him. I asked if you had him killed."

His happy expression faded, replaced by one of anger and hatred. There truly was no love lost between them. "No. Your husband's murder had nothing to do with me. Abe and I were planning on doing business together, he died before he sighed on the dotted line-"

"Good, so that's that then. He didn't sign and I don't intend to." A flicker of a smile appeared on her face despite the sick feeling brewing in her stomach. She knew all about Abraham's deal with Sabini, she had heard it all. She warned him to stay away from the Italian, but her husband didn't listen. He never listened.

Sabini was quiet, studying her with those same hateful eyes he always did. The same judging eyes her grandmother had. "You're on thin ice, Nancy, getting thinner and thinner. I once told you I would respect our family ties and never bring trouble to your door-"

"And yet, here you are."

"Keep testing me and I'll no longer honour that agreement."

Nancy tapped the desk impatiently. "Il sangue non è acqua." Blood is thicker than water. "Do what you like, cousin. I'm past caring. The casino isn't up for discussion, debate or sale. You want it? You'll have to kill me and buy it off the person I leave it to."