Chapter 30

Alisa went in the courtyard first and saw the Basil plant right in the middle of it. She kept staring at it for a couple of minutes and then decided to go out from the alley in the south, to the rear portion of the house. When she crossed the alley, she saw the rear gardens of the house. There were easily a hundred different types of plants there, and Alisa found that the gardens were divided in the middle by a bricked pathway. She stepped on it and it led her to rear gates of the house. Those gates were very low in height and not locked even. Alisa realized that Zayn had left from the same path in the morning. She opened the gates and stepped outside the house. On her left and right, there were lush green fields and soon she found herself walking towards the north west side. A few moments later, in that direction, she saw a river flowing. The beautiful sight of the lush green fields on her back and left and right, and the cool blue river flowing in front of her brought a sense of peace to her veering mind since the time she had woken up. The weather was also good, cold breeze was blowing around her. Alisa decided to sit by the river, where the flow of water was less and not deep either. It was the middle course of the river where it had slowed down considerably and the land surrounding that particular stretch was all plain,without any steep gorges or v-shaped valleys. She found a spot by the side where there were a lot of small pebbles and some rocks of various sizes. She looked around and found a rock just the right size to support her weight without tumbling or rolling. She checked it tentatively and after her satisfactory inspection, she sat on it. Then she abandoned her slippers and wriggled her toes towards the water. Surprisingly, despite the cold breeze, the water was warm...and Alisa felt as if it was welcoming her. A sense of contentment washed over her in that moment. A peace that she had not known in the past years of her life. She closed her eyes tiredly and urged her mind to blank out completely for the time being. She didn't want to remember anything in that moment. But alas! Her thoughts never stopped plaguing her...despite all her efforts to shrug them off. The touch of water on her feet reminded her of her dream last night, of the merciless sea that took away the lives of her parents and husband...and how she was unable to protect them...even in her dreams she was so powerless! The thought made her already unstable emotional state more unsteady, and water in the form of helpless tears started to fall freely from her eyes.

All of them had said...

Let the tears be free

Like a river falls in the sea...

Let the pain resolve...

Let the heart revive it's beat....

And let your soul evolve

But...

What they had not said,

Was that the curse of fate,

Shall always prevail...

No matter how hard you try,

No matter how far you go...

The fate won't ever change,

And the memories would always haunt..

No matter how deep you bury them,

They'll always come back to taunt...

They had said...

Time shall heal all the wounds,

But...

They had not said,

That fate does not depend on time...

Curses don't depend on time...

The pain will always remain...

these wounds won't ever heal...