The Morning After

She slowly opened her eyes, glad to be welcomed by the subtle morning light. Zubiya was expecting to find her favorite lamp on the bedside table, which she turned on every morning. But when she scanned the entire length of the room, she came back to reality. It took a while to shake off all the grogginess, her body was taken over by exhaustion and fatigue from the night before. The night that for her, had become synonymous with magic.

Turning from her left side to the right, she saw him sleeping beside her. Initially it felt unreal. She gently placed her hands on his right arm, reassuring herself that what was before her was not just a figment of her imagination. A sigh of relief, followed by a whole new tsunami of emotions. She could not stop glaring, blinking only once in a while, mesmerized by the sight of the love of her life sleeping peacefully beside her.

Asfand was completely aware of the beautiful set of doe eyes that was devotedly staring at him. But he didn't dare to move, because that would break the state of trance they were in. Sometimes he wondered about the good deeds he had done in life, that made the Almighty bless him with someone like her. Two imperfect incomplete people, fitting together perfectly like pieces of a puzzle. Even with his eyes closed he could see her smile. He was able to see through her the way people could see through glass, yet from time to time was amazed the mysteries that the woman had hidden within. It's not untrue when people say understanding women is an impossible task.

It had developed into a hobby of hers, staring at him, studying him. The soft strand of wavy hair that had fallen on his forehead. The most gorgeous lashes she had ever seen. Enough to give any girl complexes. His sharp defined nose and that mole on the right corner above his lips. She loved every part of him and was soaking it all in, for the millionth time. Finally, she gave in to the urge to get closer to him, and rested her head on is left shoulder. He opened his eyes followed by this swift motion, careful enough not to let her realize he was awake the whole time. In front of him was a spectacle. She adored the feeling of his beard brushing against her temples. He still teased her over the fact that she was about to break into a fight with him when he suggested getting a shave for the wedding. Planting a gentle kiss on her forehead, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. The woman in his arms was not just the love of his life anymore. She was his wife, who had forsaken her family, her home, and even her surname to accept him as her husband and become a part of his life. What he didn't know was she had also left behind the bad memories, the pain and fear to become his better half. He was her safe haven. She had never felt this protected before in her entire life. All insecurities, inhibitions and confusion had been replaced by one feeling. Love.

There was a music playing in the silence around them, one that was audible only to them. A certain kind of calmness had taken over. Both cherished the kind of intimacy they had, and not just the physical one. Neither wanted to move. It was as if they pretended to stop time to stay like this forever. This was one of the best feelings they had felt in years, and that went by unsaid.