A Reflection Of Love

The room felt ever so quiet. The newness of the whole situation was beyond her comprehension. She had put on a pale blue kameez, adorned with beautiful Kashmiri embroidery, gifted by her mother-in-law. Standing in front of the mirror, Zubiya gazed at her own reflection. A beaming glow graciously shone through her face, despite the slightly unpleasant bags that had formed under her eyes owing to lack of proper sleep last night and the past few nights for that matter. Weddings were no joke and were definitely not easy on the bride and groom. She was surprised that they had managed to get over with it without any hurdles after all, at least for the most part. There was a jewelry box with a maroon velvet skin sitting on the table, also gifted by her mother-in-law. Or should she be calling her 'Maama' from now onwards? The box contained four gorgeously crafted gold bangles and an oval pendant hung on a delicate chain. Glad that her preferences had been taken in consideration, she started wearing the jewelry one by one.

The singularity of her reflection on the mirror was disturbed by the appearance of another. Asfand took a few steps closer and stood beside her. Unkempt hair and creased kurta, it was an unusual sight for her. The man always seemed to be dressed proper no matter what the occasion. In fact, she had never seen his hair uncombed or messy until last night. Last night. He looked at her through the mirror and smiled. Initially she wasn't sure whether or not to look back, because her face had gone red and her cheeks warm. Nevertheless, as a polite gesture she looked up and returned the smile with a smile. His would induce feelings in her heart all over again.

She turned around and handed her husband the chain, gesturing him to put it around her neck. When his cool fingers brushed against her warm skin, a whole wave of emotions started flowing in. Everything seemed so spectacular, so surreal. She had never been affected this much by the presence of someone in her life. Until now, she didn't even realize what she was missing. It felt like nothing in the universe could wipe away the smile from her face now, and she was quite aware that it was the same for him as well. Sometimes it seemed like it was all a dream. Just a snap and she would fall back into the darkness of reality. But then she prayed to Allah and reassured herself, that what was and what will be happening is nothing but reality, and it was far more beautiful than even the best of dreams.