Beginning A New Journey

There were some beads of perspiration starting to form on her forehead now. It was getting unusually warm and Zubiya had started to feel unwell. She got up and sat on the edge of the bed, looked at the clock, wondering why she still was not able to sleep. 5:54 am. It had been long since Fajr prayers. She could feel an intense restlessness. Being a doctor, she knew that nausea could be for various reasons. But when accompanied by fatigue, dizziness and sudden mood changes, it was a different case entirely. However, she also took into consideration the fact that she had been working tirelessly for the past few days, for which Asfandyar had scolded her as well, so it might be due to exertion and nothing else. She really didn't know what to expect. Which is probably why she did not even dare to open the blood test reports yet, which she had already received the night before. It was so overwhelming. She wasn't sure whether she should tell Asfand before she opened it or after, so that he unnecessarily doesn't get his hopes too high. All this confusion made her want to throw up again. She carefully tiptoed her way to the washroom.

Asfand, on the other hand, was wide-awake but didn't let his wife realize it. He was honestly finding the whole situation quite funny. Even after Zubiya's attempts to hide it from him, he had gotten to know about it. He was a doctor after all, and more importantly her husband. He just couldn't sleep while Zubiya lay awake, restless. He wished he could calm her down but he also knew that she wanted to keep it a secret until she was sure, and he didn't want to take that away from her. Zubiya came out of the washroom, a little relieved. She finally mustered up the courage to open the reports. The envelope was kept carefully hidden away in her cupboard. She took it out and taking a deep breath in, opened it in the name of the Almighty.

It was already a few minutes past six, and Asfand would wake up any moment now. But she could not wait even a second more. She got back up on the bed and gently run her fingers through his hair to wake him up. Asfand, pretending to wake up slowly, opened his eyes and turned towards her making eye contact. He could see traces of tears in her eyes.

"Zubiya? Kya masla hain, sab theek toh hain na?" All of a sudden, he wasn't sure how to react anymore. He sat up immediately looking worried.

"Nahin nahin sab theek hain don't worry. Mujhe bas aap ko kuch batana tha."

He looked directly at her, but she couldn't look back. She was looking here and there trying to find a spot to focus on rather than looking at him, so that it would be easier for her to give him the news.

"Ummm, woh actually pichle kuch dino se meri tabiyat theek nahi lag rahi thi, toh maine socha ke kuch tests karwa loon. Toh kal reports le aayi thi raat ko. Abhi subha hi khol kar dekha."

"And?" Asfand asked her getting more and more impatient by the second. Zubiya couldn't bring herself to actually say it, so she quickly handed him the paper. Now she couldn't take her eyes off him, eagerly waiting to see how he reacts. To her surprise, he didn't seem much surprised at all. Asfand let out a cute little laugh and looked at her.

"Toh isme rone waali kya baat hain? Yeh to khushi ki baat hain yaar! Congratulations, maama." He smiled wide and bright.

Zubiya was a bit confused at his lack of surprise. "Aap ko pata tha?"

"Ek idea hogaya tha. Tumhe kya lagta hain tumhari problems mujhse chhupi huyi hain? I could clearly see it in your face. Aur ek doctor ki nazar in sab mamlo mein usually galat nahi hota. Waise, agli baar try a bit harder." He smirked playfully.

"Asfi!" This time around, Zubiya joined in to laugh with her husband. Asfand pulled her closer and wrapped his arm around her. She too, wrapped hers around him, embracing him with warmth and love. And at that moment, they silently prayed together. For their future, for their happiness and for their little bundle of joy who was going to be a part of their lives very soon.