Chapter 6

All eyes were wide. D'artagnan spoke this time "how many are there?!" the man sighed "fifty...but there are ten on us in charge". They knew enough; Porthos knocked him out and slung him over his horse. "Come on, we need to get back to the palace as fast as possible!!"  Aramis exclaimed "Porthos, take him to the cells and meet us there as fast as you can" his boyfriend wasn't so sure, but agreed; they hopped onto their horses before parting ways. D'artagnan realised something "it'll take us at least thirty minutes to get to the Palace!! Then we have to find the damn barrels!! And then stop the group!!" basically, they had a lot to do in such little and precious time.  They raced through the streets as fast as their horses could take them, it didn't help that someone's cart had broken in the middle of their path, so the two had to hurry though some alleys before getting back on track.

Back to when the three musketeers had caught the man with the two barrels of gun powder, Kayley was changing into her new outfit for the masquerade ball "come on Kayley, you look amazing!!" Anne chuckled as the teen looked at herself in the mirror. The two thanked Rosa before adding grabbing their masks and left for the ball; everyone had arrived already, so now it was time for the King and Queen to make their grand entrance. They met up with Treville, Athos and Louis at the closed door to the throne room; they all complimented one another on their attire "here, Rosa managed to make you both masks" Kayley stated as she handed them over to her Captain and brother; they all put on their masks before getting into position. The royal couple in the middle whilst their three protectors walked three steps behind them "how many people are here??" the teen asked; Treville informed them that there were over three hundred. The doors opened after someone announced that it was the King and Queen; they walked down the stairs and greeted everyone. Kayley and Athos had to stay nearby the couple whilst Treville looked around to see if their was anything suspicious. No one knew who anyone was either, the only people that were identifiable was the King, Queen, Athos, Kayley and Treville. "See anything??" Athos asked his Captain as they passed one another "not yet...but something definitely doesn't feel right" Treville stated, scanning the room for the hundredth time "do you know where Kayley is??" he asked, but the musketeer wasn't sure "the Queen needed the toilet, but that was ten minutes ago" he stated. They both felt a twinge of worry but were relieved when they saw the two women re-enter the ball room; they approached the small group as the King and Queen began to dance "you two took a while in the toilet" Treville quietly stated earning a smirk "the Queen's dress ripped a little, so we went to Rosa and fixed it". All of a sudden, someone bumped into the teen girl "uhh!!" Athos helped Kayley keep her balance as they looked up, but who ever it was had vanished into the crowd. "He...he had a sword" Kayley shuttered as she looked to two men "what?!" she continued "the guy had a sword attached to his belt, but it was hidden by his cloak" Athos questioned her once more "are you sure??" she nodded. Treville looked around but couldn't see the person "they could be a Red Guard, there are some disguised here as well" he stated; Athos added "but if it's not, then I bet it's one of the people that are plotting against the King and Queen". Treville agreed "stay with the King and Queen, I'm going to go talk to Rochforte and ask if he can point out to me the disguised Red Guards" once he saw two nods, the Captain made his way through the room. "Do you think the other's are okay??" Kayley asked her brother who nodded "they can look after themselves...I just hope they work out what the hells going on and stop it" Athos stated before smiling at the teen; she raised a brow "what??" the man smiled "you look beautiful Kayley". The young woman returned the kind smile "thanks...you look very handsome".

"Here it is, the tunnels go on for a while so be careful not to get lost" a maid informed the two musketeers before rushing off back to doing her job; they had arrived at the Palace and ran to a near by working maid, asking her to show them where the entrance to the tunnels was. "Come on, we don't have long" D'artagnan stated as he and his brother began to run down the long tunnel "the throne room is on the North side, so we need to go left!!" Aramis worked out as they came to a turning point of four paths. Suddenly, the two musketeers were forced to a stop as they heard voices "hurry up!! The boss won't be happy if we're late!!" a male voice ordered; Aramis peeked around the corner to see what was happening. His eyes widened with horror at the sight before him; over ten large barrels - like the ones from the cart they had stopped - planted around the large tunnel....the strings attached were already lit on fire. There were about twenty masked men "light the last one, then we can meet up with the others" another man said to his friend who did as told; D'artagnan was about to go over and begin the fight when his brother's hand on his shoulder stopped him. They young man gave Aramis a confused look; he just shook his head as if to say "not yet". They waited for the large group of men to leave the other way though the tunnel before leaving their hiding place "hurry and put out the fire!!" Aramis exclaimed, not too loud in case the men heard them; all he received was a nod before both of them rushed around the tunnel, stomping on the fire or snapping the string so the fire wouldn't reach the barrel full of gun powder. After a horrible few minutes, the two musketeers clasped hands as they caught their breaths "we need...to get the others...and go after  those men" D'artagnan managed to speak though his deep breaths; Aramis nodded "yeah...come on" they began to run in the direction the masked men had gone. After five minutes of running, the musketeers finally found one of the exits which led them into the kitchen?? "Great, we lost them" the younger man sighed; all of a sudden they heard a pair of feet pitter pattering on the cold stone floor in the tunnel. They hid on either side of the door , swords drawn and at the ready; the man sped through the door and immediately had two sword aimed straight at him. They eyes widened with relief when they saw that the man in front of them was Porthos; Aramis hugged his boyfriend briefly as D'artagnan asked him how he found them "you two aren't quiet runners, and I saw the barrels and burnt string so I figured you guys had done that". They began to speed walk though the Palace as Porthos explained that he had locked the man up in the cells, but he had said that they would be too late "they have a plan B as well" he stated "I don't know what it is exactly, but the idiot let it slip". They knew they needed to hurry and get to their friends, all worried at he unknown.

In the ball room, Kayley and Athos were still with the King and Queen whilst Treville was talking with Rochefort; they were all on guard and alert. More masked people had arrived and were now mingling within the crowd; the teen musketeer was couldn't help the bad feeling spread through her body. All of a sudden, men all around the room - rather close to the royal couple - draw out their hidden swords and ran at the King and Queen. The two musketeers pulled the royal that they were in charge of protecting  behind them as they draw their own weapon, as well as a gun each; they fought and blocked the men, either pushing them away, knocking them out or - and this one was the mainly used tactic - killing them with their weapons. There was over thirty of them against the two musketeer, as well as Treville who had quickly joined the fight; Rochefort ordered the Red Guard's to help hurry the guests out of the room so that none of them got injured. "There are too many of them!!" Anne exclaimed as Kayley killed a man who had gotten too close to the Queen "where's Aramis, Porthos and D'artagnan?!" Athos exclaimed in worry, wishing they were there with them to help. As if God was listening, the said three musketeers crashed into the room "right here!!" Porthos exclaimed as they joined the battle "six against thirty, now that's a fair fight" Kayley stated with a smirk. It as a long battle, but there was no doubt that the musketeers would win; and they did. They hurried to tie the men up and unmask them, revealing who wanted the King and Queen dead. Carts were called to the Palace and the remaining failed assassins were taken to the prison; there were only ten left alive. "Thank you Musketeers, you did good" Louis stated "I do believe the party is over" he declared before he and the Queen retreated to their chambers. They musketeers left the Palace; Treville stayed as he wanted to speak with Rochefort. Once outside and making their way to the horses, Porthos noticed what exactly Kayley and Athos were wearing, body and face. He of course joked about it which caught the other twos attention; Aramis complimented the girl whilst D'artagnan smirked "you're...allowed to keep the mask??" he asked very suggestively. Kayley covered her eyes and began to yell "lalalalalalala!!" they all laughed like never before; she removed her hands and shivered in cringe"I really don't need to know about my brother's kinks thank you very much" was the last thing she said. Athos wrapped an arm around her shoulders as they finished their walk to the stables; they hopped onto their horses before galloping off. Once they reached the Garrison, the streets were empty; each of them settled their own horse in the stables before leaving. Instead of going to the Tavern, they all decided to just go straight to the B&B as it was just a few minutes till midnight now. Entering the building, Constance was finishing the cleaning up and said good night to them; they all returned to their rooms and changed for bed. Athos and D'artagnan certainly enjoyed using the mask that night though.