Chapter 17

Earlier that day, the group had gone to visit their sick King; he was more than relieved and happy that Treville and Athos had both accepted their new positions!! Additionally, he was immediately smirking and chuckling when the new young couple told him about them "about time" they heard the King mumble. Of course, he agreed to Derek staying with him, but only if his parents were okay with it; it was an intense few seconds as all eyes landed on Sarah and John who made a mental decision "he can stay if he wishes". After that, they left the King and Queen in peace; Derek decided to have a talk with his parents whilst the musketeers left the Palace to inform the cadets of the new changed that were about to occur. Obviously, the five men began their teasing as soon as they reached their horses; Kayley just rolled her eyes but didn't stop them. She had done the exact same this when D'artagnan and Athos got together, or when either couple did anything romantic. "Don't give it if you can't take it" is what she used to always say. The teenager did turn bright red however, when Porthos spoke "I don't want to be an Uncle anytime soon though!!" they all laughed but agreed; Treville glared at Aramis when he mentioned the word "grandfather". Eventually, they arrived back at the Garrison and stood at the front of the stairs; Treville called for all of the cadets to gather around. "It has been an honour to work with you and be your Captain" all eyes widened with worry "...the King has asked me to become the Minister of France and I have accepted". The cadets were gobsmacked but more than happy for the man "so I have chosen Athos to take my place as Captain, although I am sure it will be as if you have five captains" they all smirked at that, knowing he was right. They all began to clap, cheer and whistle, congratulation the two men on their promotions. Treville began packing his office u whilst Athos did the same at the B&B; both he and D'artagnan would be moving into the office as they lived together. Kayley began the training session with the cadets whilst Porthos and Aramis got on with their own training, duelling one another. For a few hours, nothing changed other than Treville leaving for the Palace as he was going to be staying in the Minister's quarters, as well as Athos and D'artagnan moving into the office; they all hugged or shook their ex Captain's hand before he left.

"So what shall we do Captain??" Kayley teased with a grin; the man playfully glared at her before smirking, worrying the youngest musketeer slightly "I wouldn't tease me Princess". Her eyes widened as she straightened up; he was calling her that because she was the partner to a Prince. Whilst all of the musketeers understood the meaning of the nickname, the cadets did not; one of them spoke up "that's a new one Athos" the new Captain held his smirk proud, especially when Kayley hissed "don't. You. Dare" all of the Cadets raised confused and curious brows "you might be Captain now, but I can still beat you in a duel!!" It was annoying but she was right; in this case, Athos didn't care. "Our dear Kayley has found herself a boyfriend" all eyes widened, especially when he added "Prince Derek". The eighteen year old jumped up with her sword and began her attack; Athos quickly blocked it and began to fight back. It wasn't a serious major duel, more along the lines of training/joking. Everyone watched as the two fought until Constance came running through the gates "musketeers!! Musketeers!!". Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned towards the woman "Constance?? What is it??" Athos asked as she came to a halt "a...a child!! It has a gun!!" all eyes widened "he's....I don't know, but...he's threatening to kill his father!!". Before they could say another word, the five musketeers and Constance ran out of the Garrison and through the town until they reached a crowd; they were horrified to see a young boy stood in front of everyone, a pistol held tightly in his grasp, aimed right at a man that they guessed to be his father. "Stay away!!" the child yelled; Athos thought quickly and whispered towards his boyfriend and the other couple "get rid of the crowd" he then turned towards Kayley "take to the kid, see if you can get the gun or something". All nodding, the musketeers got to work; Kayley stepped forward "stay back!!" he screamed. The teen held up her arms to show she wasn't a threat "take it easy kid...no ones going to hurt you" she reassured "but you need to put the gun down" he shook his head. Taking a deep breath, the girl smiled "I'm Kayley, what's your name??" she asked, taking a small step forward "...Damian" it was something she guessed "okay Damian...I need you to listen to me very carefully" she stated "I need you to give me that gun so that no one get's hurt". The little boy, probably about eleven years old "no!! We're not safe without this gun!!" this confused them "we're not safe from him!!". Kayley looked over to the man who looked scared but...angry as well "what do you mean Damian?? This man is your father, is he not??" the whole damn thing was confusing "he's dangerous!!" the boy yelled. Kayley watched as tears began to form in Damian's eyes "...what did your father do??" she asked, careful of her words "he....he" the child cried as he glared at his father "he hit momma again". The musketeer's eyes widened as she shot a look at the man before taking a deep breath "okay...is your momma at home??" she asked earning a nod "Damian...I need you to give me that gun-" the boy tried to protest "listen to me Damian....you need to give me that gun and I will take you back to your mother....and I promise that your father will never harm your mother ever again" she reassured "but to do that, I need you to give me that gun". Taking a step forward, Kayley held out her hand; the other musketeers and the boys father watched the tense moment; Damian broke down sobbing, his arm falling to his side with the gun in his now loose grip. Kayley rushed over and pulled him into an embrace, quickly grabbing the gun and throwing it over to D'artagnan and Athos "shh...it's okay...it's okay". Whilst calming the child, Kayley looked over to the other musketeers and nodded towards the boys father; Athos mouthed the word "cells" as a question, earning a nod. Porthos and Athos approached the man and grabbed at his arms "come on mate, let's go for a walk" thankfully, he didn't protest...probably because he didn't know they were taking him to the cells.