Chapter 13

"Well done last night musketeers, another successful mission" Treville praised the five; it was the next day at 12 as they had quite a bit of catching up with sleep due to the mission the night previous. They had just arrived at the Garrison when their Captain ordered them to his office "especially to our little Kayley" Athos smirked as he patted the girl on the back "you took on the guy, protected Prince Derek and kept yourself alive" they all agreed, earning them a smile "thanks". D'artagnan then asked how her now stitched and bandage chest was "it's fine, just sore". The girl then asked how the King was due to being poisoned the night before "I checked on him earlier, but it seems he's worse" their eyes widened in horror and confusion. Aramis spoke up "but I thought the doctor had said that the poison was reversible??" he asked earning a nod "exactly, that's why I believe it wasn't the Spaniard from last nights attack that poisoned him, but someone whose still in the Palace". They all thought for a moment, listing people who could have reached the Kings food and drinks "the cooks and servants, they're the only ones who can get close to the food or drinks" D'artagnan stated earning nods "maybe" it seemed their Captain was unsure. As if she could read his mind, Kayley spoke up "you think Rochefort did this??" that earned her a nod "I inspected the Spaniards body this morning and found a letter from him, stating that he wanted the assassin to kill whoever he saw in the Palace, as well as the King" their eyes widened "traitor!!" Porthos growled. Treville continued "not only that, but it seems Rochefort had picked the assassin with the help of an old friend and mentor from Spain...he helped organise the assassin" he explained "we need proof that Rochefort is a traitor before going to the King, he trusts that man more then I like" they couldn't help but agree "but we do have the Queen on our side when I mentioned it to her, she's just...having a hard time accepting it". Kayley became immediately concerned for Anne's safety "so the plan??" Athos asked, making their Captain speak again "your five and myself are going to go the old Village two hours away from Paris and get Rochefort's mentor to come back with you to confess to the King" he explained earning nods from all of the men; they turned to Kayley who kept her head still "Kayley??". The eighteen year old began to speak "I think I should go to the Palace and stay with the Queen...in case Rochefort turns on her" they agreed, thinking it was a better idea, but Aramis couldn't hold back the joke "want to go protect your boyfriend as well??" they all smirked as they saw Kayley roll her eyes with her cheeks turning a shade of pink. They saddled up and rode off, each of them telling one another to be careful before parting paths; the men galloped out of the town of Paris and towards the old village that had been evacuated over seven years ago due to a large fire that had burnt down the majority of it. "How do we know this guy will be at this village??" D'artagnan asked; Treville explained that the letter had stated that Rochefort's mentor would be hiding out at the old village, waiting for the Cardinal to visit, as well as the assassin. 

With Kayley, she had soon reached the Palace and handed Sam over to one of the stable boys before making her way through the large and grand building; she asked a passing servant where the Queen was, to which he informed her that she was with the King in his chambers. Thanking the man, the eighteen year old made her way to the King's chambers in the West wing; she knocked on the door and heard the Queen call out "the King is taking no visitors today!!". You could just here the pain and sorrow in her voice. "It's Kayley Anne!!" the teenager stated, waiting a moment before the door opened and she was suddenly pulled in; the Queen quickly closed the door again and hugged the musketeer. "Oh Kayley" the girl embraced the worried woman "I'm so worried about Louis" she stated; Kayley patted Anne on the back before they parted "I know, but we have a plan" she reassured. This was when Kayley sent a glance over to their poisoned King and frowned; he was shivering, yet covered in sweat, extremely pale and unconscious. The two sat at a small table in the corner of the room so that, if he could still hear things, the King wouldn't. "Treville told the other musketeers and I about his theory on who has poisoned Louis" Kayley informed "do you...do you think it was Rochefort??" she hesitantly asked; the woman sighed as she rubbed her forehead "...I don't know...it's a large possibility but...Rochefort is my friend so I...I don't-" the teen spoke for her "you don't want to think he's the one who did it". Kayley explained the plan; how the male musketeer's had left to find the Cardinal's old mentor. "Why didn't you go with them??" Anne asked as she took a sip of her tea "if Rochefort is the one poisoning the King, I wanted to be here to protect you...in case he, for some reason, turned on you" Kayley explained. The Queen gave a smile smile "thank you Kayley, I really need a friend right now" that reminded the musketeer of something "where's John, Sarah and Derek??" she became worried for them. Anne reassured her by explaining that Sarah and John had gone out for the day and would be away for the night "but Derek is somewhere here in the Palace, he didn't want to go with his parents" she suddenly smirked "I wonder why". Kayley knew what she was suggesting and just groaned "not you too!! I've got practically everyone on my back about Derek" this made the woman chuckle "can you blame us?? It's more then clear that there is something strong between you two" Kayley couldn't deny that as she sighed "I wish it was that easy". The woman stroked my shoulder "...he actually said he wanted to stay here in case you decided to visit...he wants to talk to you about something" Anne informed, spiking the girls interest "really?? About what??" Kayley asked with a raised brow "not sure, but it seemed important". Anne suddenly yawned "you didn't get much sleep last night, did you??" the musketeer asked earning a nod "I wanted to stay with Louis, keep an eye on him" it made sense;. The teenager smiled "well...how about you go and get some sleep?? I'll stay here and keep an eye on him, and I'll send for someone if anything happens" she reassured, but it was clear the Queen was unsure and hesitant "or you could have a nap on the sofa over there??" Kayley suggested. Anne smiled at the second offer "yes, I'll have a nap but stay here...I'm just going to hurry back to my own chambers and gather a change of clothes" Kayley smiled as the woman stood up "I'll be back in a few minutes". And with that, the Queen left.