Chapter 4

Woke with a shiver, Fireheart opened his eyes to the pitch black camp. The sun hadn't risen yet, and the warriors den was filled with the soft snores of his fellow warriors. Leafbare was on its way, and Thunderclan was already feeling its presence.
Graystripe lay huddled up against him, his louder-than-average snores elevated by the silence. They had managed to use teamwork to catch seven birds in a single afternoon. It was like they could read each others'minds. Fireheart stared at him, an involuntary smile appearing on his face. He couldn't help but purr at the Gray warrior, laying his head down, allowing sleep to take hold of him.

But it never came.

Sighing, he sat up, licked Graystripe's muzzle, and left the warriors den and headed out into the clearing.
Looking around, he had prepared to head out when he heard a crash of stone coming from Bluestar's den.
"Bluestar!" Fireheart yowled, rushing over to her den.
Fireheart entered the medicine den, and there lay Bluestar sprawled out, convulsing on the floor. He hurried to the entrance, seeking the medicine cat.
"Yellowfang, come quick!" He called. The flat-nosed medicine cat poked her head out from her den, rushing hurriedly across the clearing, Cinderpaw at her side. A moon back, she had been crippled by an incident with a monster, and Tigerclaw wasn't looking so innocent, but of course, no one else saw it. Now she served as a medicine cat apprentice.

The flame warrior was bending over his leader, trying to shake her awake, and as the medicine cats entered the den, as if on cue, she woke with a throaty splutter.
Staring in his direction, her eyes rolled back in agony, she hissed
"Where there is light, there is darkness, and where there is darkness, there is light. Neither is good, neither is bad. When too bright shines the sun, a storm cloud must protect the delicate ground from its burning rays. When unrelenting and dark are the rain and clouds, the sun shall rise to quell the deadly flood... evil exists only when divorced from balance. Bring balance to light and dark." Her scream ended in a whisper.
Fireheart stared at her in horror, as her body fell silent and calm. Her breathing quickly returning to normal. His heart pounding, he stared at Yellowfang. She stared back with a hard glare. "No one must know about this. Not yet. We need time to talk to Bluestar first." She growled. He nodded frantically, but silently, understanding perfectly.
"Go back to your nest and sleep. We'll talk when Bluestar wakes" she sighed, gesturing with her tail for him to leave.
He nodded hurriedly, and sprinted back to his nest, looking back at the leaders den, his heart pounding in his ears. Sleep wasn't going to be an option. So he lay down, fidgeting all the while, and stared out of the den's entrance out to Silverpelt. So those are supposed to save us? He scoffed at the thought, honestly terrified at what he'd just witnessed.
"Fireheart?" Graystripe whispered
Fireheart nearly jumped out of his own pelt. His shivering must've disturbed him.
"What?" He snapped, shivering.
"Um, never mind. I'll uh, just go back to sleep" the cat mewed mewed, staring at him, shocked. Fireheart immediately regretted it.
"I'm sorry for snapping. But can we talk in the morning?" He pleaded. Graystripe seemed to get the message, wordlessly tilting his head back and laying back down into the nest. Fireheart snuggled closer to comfort Graystripe, as well as himself.

"Fireheart, What was that all about last night?" Graystripe pestered as they got up from the nest and headed for morning patrol.
Fireheart was about to tell him everything, but then remembered Yellowfang's warning.
"It was nothing" Fireheart insisted, shaking his head.
He was slightly put out when Graystripe stepped in front of him
"You promised that you'd tell me. Are we really going to lie to each other? Why the secrets?" He asked.
Graystripe don't do this. Not now. He silently begged. Fireheart tried to push past, but Graystripe stepped in the way, with a grave look etched on his face.
"Look Graystripe. Yellowfang made me swear not to tell anyone. What am I supposed to do?" He asked, staring at Graystripe's front paws with a defeated frown.
"So I'll tell you, but just remember that you're the one forcing me to break my promise," Huffed Fireheart, staring back up into Graystripe's eyes.
They stared at each other, the tension growing slowly.
"Grr fine. Forget I asked. Lets go. Patrol's waiting" hissed Graystripe over his shoulder, stalking away.
I'm sorry Graystripe. I love you to death, but this is something that I have to keep to myself for now. He shook his head to clear it, and trotted off to catch up to the patrol. Sitting and bickering doesn't fill our bellies. He will just have to suck it up for now. He to himself