Chapter 13

Silent greetings and hushed mews of welcome were heard whipped through the Fourtrees. Bluestar flicked her tail and the whole of Thunderclan's gathering group came padding over the ridge in one formation, taking their place in the hollow, and mingled with Windclan and Riverclan. It appeared that Shadowclan had not yet arrived. Foxdung! If those Fleabitten frogbreaths know what's good for them, they'll stay away. Fireheart searched for Onewhisker of Windclan. He was seated next to Mudfur, his gaze darting through the crowd of cats gathered in the hollow. When his eyes landed on Fireheart, they lit up with relief and he got up and headed over. The ThunderClan warrior met him halfway, and Mudfur brought up his rear.

"I see you decided to come. Despite everything" he meowed. To that, Fireheart hissed.
"Starclan knows I wouldn't miss this gathering for a moon of free fresh kill."

"If those mangepelts know their place. They'll keep away" he jeered.

"Funny you should say that. I was just-" he was cut off by the patter of paw steps. Pawsteps that put him in a really bad mood. Brought with it was an insulting stench. Nightstar appeared over the edge of the pine forest, followed by a small group of cats. There were so few of them here.
When they began to move down to the clearing, Thunderclan and Windclan became silent. The Riverclan warriors were visibly confused and disconcerted by the bloating tension.

"Tsk. I bet they're still licking their wounds from half a moon ago" Fireheart jeered spitefully. Mudfur snickered along with some close-surrounding hotter-headed warriors, while Onewhisker just looked on, hatred burning in his eyes.
"I hope a monster takes a few out on their way back to camp." He whispered. Fireheart was shocked by this, but he knew not the level of damage to Windclan's camp, so he didn't protest.

The leaders leaped to the top of the great rock, Bluestar's vicious gaze burning into Nightstar as he struggled up to his place. It looked as if she was contemplating pushing him off the Great Rock. Tallstar wasn't much better, but he seemed less outwardly hostile and more miserable than anything. Crookedstar's gaze shifted hazily between the three. After what seemed like a pathetic moon, old bag of bones managed to scramble to the top.

"Alright everyone, quiet! No pleasantries tonight! Let's just get right down into the meat of what everyone's thinking! Nightstar. Explain yourself." Bluestar yowled. The Shadowclan leader just stared straight ahead, so she continued. "For those unaware, Riverclan. Shadowclan made an on both ThunderClan and Windclan on two consecutive days. Normally, ThunderClan would overlook such a feeble attempt at a power grab, but you see, however, that little stunt was not without victims. Speckletail was found mangled behind the nursery. She barely had a face to say goodbye to." Bluestar continued, her voice heavy with emotion. Whispers spread quickly through the gathered cats, and Bluestar continued.
"What's worse, She was not a warrior. She was a queen, a nursing queen at that. On her way to the elders den. Her kit, a strong and healthy Tom is now being suckled by Goldenflower, his own older sister! You Nightstar, truly are a disgrace." At this, some Shadowclan cats seemed uneasy. But not all.

Tallstar stepped forward, ushering in another silence.

"Ay, I am sorry for your loss, Bluestar. We, too, have mourning to attend. Mourning for an elder, and a newborn kit. Both shamelessly torn apart by Shadowclan onslaught." He huffed, his piercing voice echoing through the clearing, and bouncing through the forest.
A kit? Silence ensued before growls of disgust and hatred spread through the clearing, i insults were hurled in every direction.
Fireheart felt violently sick at the thought, as he hunched over, almost throwing up on the spot. To think that kit could have been his own. Mudfur rubbed his arched back with his tail.
"You and your clan are a disgrace" the brown warrior growled at the ShadowClan leader.
"StarClan-foresaken!" Called another, "crow-food!" Another, "mangepelt would understate it!" The insults soon filled the air, before quieting down at Tallstar's silent command.