Chapter 10

Hey guys. Thank you for the positivity on the last chapter. It means so much and warms my heart. Especially when it came out like... a month late.
And then below is came crazy good fanart from dragonskies.

Thank you for taking the time to draw this. You're incredibly talented and I absolutely love it!

Now, let's get back to that story shall we.
_____________________________
The sun had risen above the green treeline, sending its rays echoing through the pool, throwing flecks of light out against the rock wall of the waterfall, creating the illusion of life behind the watery shower while the light danced in and out of the pool, glittering as it flickered to and fro through the sunburnt water.
The sky, a crimson red, the rays burning valiantly through the sky, filtering down against the green grass of the meadow, setting it ablaze in waves of golden radiance, the complementary blues no longer held down by the constraints of the long barren night. The light seems to rise from the ground, almost as if lighting the sky of its own volition.
Thereby the two cats lay curled up, looking like a single ball of ember and coal.
Fireheart was the first to break from this figure, sitting up, looking to be in a disheveled mess. But he felt far better then he looked.
He needed it. A night where he could forget about how insecure and unsure he felt. How their kits would be in better paws with anyone other than him. Right now, he felt at peace. He desperately hoped that this feeling would last.

The fiery tom got up and bent his back out in a stretch, his claws flexing in and out, crunching into the soil.

He prodded his mate in the shoulder,
"Come on. Get up" he mewed softly, sitting up straight.
The gray warrior only curled up tighter, tucking his muzzle under his paw.
"I don't want to... Whyyy?" He whined.
Fireheart rolled his eyes.
"Because, we have to get back. Our clanmates are going to wonder where we are. Also, I'm raising your kits, remember?"
Graystripe rolled over and glared at fireheart in mock-irritation, but sighed,
"Okay. I'm up." He meowed, lifting himself off the patch of grass.
"But One thing. We're not telling anyone about this place. It's our spot." He mewed, pressing up against the orange tom.
"Fine. I think I can do that. But you never know, the nursery can get boring without new conversation. Anyway, best be heading off." He meowed curtly, turning around and trotting off, tail high.
Shortly after, Graystripe appeared beside him, and the two began trotting in pace.

The sun had reached halfway to its peak and they'd just crossed the border, and out of nowhere, Graystripe's fur spiked up and he recoiled for a second.
"What is-"Fireheart began, but his partner cut him off.
"Shh. I smell fear" he whispered, crouching low to the ground.
Tentatively, Fireheart stuck his muzzle in the air, and sniffed around, and as sure as the day is long, he could smell fear-scent. And not just one cat, many. Way too many.
Something was wrong.
And just then, as if on cue, not a second after he'd almost choked on the metallic taste of ThunderClan blood-scent, an ear-splitting screech sliced through the air.
The two toms' eyes met, and they immediately dashed toward the camp, heart racing in his chest, threatening to burst as they hurled themselves closer to their camp, the blood pounding in his ears, hot and afraid, and he could now detect Graystripe's fear scent laced into the rest.