Chapter Five- Skills

John's POV

I'm was so trapped. I had to watch myself move like a TV show that I didn't want to watch because I couldn't do anything. I'm screaming but nothing is coming out. Maria was helping me and explaining to me that it was gonna be finished a couple months from then and now it's then and Maria is trying to get Zombie me to drink the potion. Once I finally drank it, it took a week to work which was torture as I saw Alexander looking for me in the forest while I was locked inside my mind at Maria's little cabin the first day I got back into my body and didn't remember or feel anything, the second day I started to slowly gain emotions throughout the day , the third day I got memories back my skin was changing back, the fourth day my skin was changing back, the fifth day the last of the memories flooded in, the sixth day my skin was normal once more the seventh day I was perfectly fine, "Woah. That was really fast." I said to Maria as she looked and smile her being human once more. I looked under my bandages and the bite was gone. like, it never happened. She handed me a bow and arrow, "Now it's March of 2025 and for this not to happen again you need a more long range weapon. A bow and arrow is easy to use and will block you from getting hurt as well as a throwing knife and a gun. I nodded as she brought me outside, "Now shoot that target with a the arrow." She pointed to a target a ways away, "Did you make that while we recovered. She nodded, "Yup! I want you to be safe from now on." I held back the arrow and when shooting it landed many yards away from the whole thing. She smiled reassuringly, "Hey it takes practice. Here let me show you." she walked up to me and took the bow and one arrow. She pulled back the arrow closing one eye and getting her aim. She let go and it hit right on the bullseye, "Woah! That is so cool!" I exclaimed. She laughed, "Yeah it took awhile Here let's try a gun. She grabbed a pistol from her pocket and handed it to me, "Oh I know how to use these Lexi taught me!" I remembered him teaching me how to aim a gun before the apocolypse back in America. Our group thought France would be more safe so we fled there but we were wrong and now I was nine months from going back to America to be safe. She nodded, "Then show me." She said, I nodded and aimed the gun and shot hitting right on top of her arrow. I looked at her with a smile as she looked amazed, "Wow you do know. Now, I don't reccomend this but it's better to learn but take this throwing knife and hit it. I nodded and tried hitting it. I hit the target just on the outer ring. She nodded, "That's good since I don't really use knives since their so close distance and you can only use a throwing knife, like once." She shrugged, "Hey Maria how did you get bit?" She looked away and sighed, "Guess I could tell you. My girlfriend Peggy--" I cut her off, "You mean Peggy Schyuler?! The girl that went missing from our group?!" She nodded, "Yea. I didn't know you were part of that group." I nodded with a smile, "Yeah it's down to four people now." She gasped, "Oh no they had like 900 when I saw them. But, anyway we were walking and there was a hoard of zombies she looked to me and tried saving me but she couldn't she told me to run with her but I was in such a paralyzed state that we both got bit and Peggy... died by them instead of turning they ate her alive instead of turning her." She explained, "Oh no! I'm so sorry." I said, "No it's fine that was years ago I am better now but I still miss her. My real name is Maria Lewis though, anyone that I meet I say Reynolds so if anything happens they can't track me or report me to the cops. But, I trust you enough to know my real name." I smiled at her, "Thanks I picked up the bow and arrows and tried to shoot the bullseye again I got closer but still failed, "Hey we should go inside soon I don't want to risk anything we can come back until you've mastered the bow and arrow." She said. I nodded and walked in. I took the bandages off my arm and the bite was fully gone which surprised me, "Hey Maria when will we go and see Lexi?" I asked. She thought about it, "After you get better with the bow." she stated. It made me sad but also charged me to work on the skill. Months after months I was getting better. We but bandages around my hands to protect them and put arrows on a strap so I could reach to my back and grab them I also usually had a gun in my pocket. I was almost ready to see Lexi again.

Just you wait.

To Be Continued...

Word Count: 907