8. Hopes crushed!

~ Beware of what you say and how. Soemtimes words cut deeper that knife, and the wound never heals~

The board exams came and went by, exhausting both Manik and Nandini. On the day of the last exam, they came out of the exam hall, and were immediately surrounded by their other classmates who were discussing the paper with each other. Some had a sense of relief to know their answer was right, some were sad to loose a few marks, but at the end of the day, all of them were happy for finally, the tortuous exams were over.

One of their common friend, Aditya, poked Manik in his shoulder and smirked at him.

"So, who out of you both is going to top the final exams?", He aksed the question that was almost in everybody's mind and Nandini smiled in reflex, shrugging her shoulders. That was her neutral answer every time, because she was used to people comparing them, and to be really honest, it never mattered to her. Usually Manik would wrap his arm around her with a jovial smile and answer 'We', to these questions, but this time his silence went unnoticed to Nandini who was busy gossipping with Barkha.

Manik, in his heart knew that it would be her this time, because he hadn't given his hundred percent. Not that it made him jealous or something, but the fact that he couldn't really concentrate after that fateful day, when his best friend tagged him as a mere neighbour bothered him. Over the last few weeks, they hardly met or talked, since exams were on the head and both were busy, and also, Nandini decided to study with the other popular group of the class, ditching him last moment.

Even after everything, Manik couldn't let their friendship of years die, it affected him to even think about it, and hence he walked over to Nandini, and tapped her shoulder.

"Hey", he said with a smile.

"Hii", she replied excited.

"I was wondering since exams are over, let's hang out today, the usual?", He asked, hope brimming in his eyes. He desperately wanted for things to go back to the normal routine. But the hesitance he saw in Nandini's eyes, crushed those small seedlings of hope.

" Actually Manik, we have plans. I mean I already agreed for a movie and pizza party with Barkha and the group. Maybe we can go some other day?", She asked with a sad face, since it did hurt her too, denying him, but she didn't want to disappoint her new elite friends either.

"Yeah, fine", Manik forced a smile, and walked away, his heart beating like a drum against his chest. Why did it feel like their happy world was coming to an end?

Later, the same night, Aditya dragged Manik to a club, to celebrate the freedom they would have before college comes along. Manik was skeptical, but Pakhi advised him to have a few more freinds and social outings too, and he had to give his consent. Holding a can of beer in his hand, Manik was standing near the bar, when a voice caught his attention.

 Holding a can of beer in his hand, Manik was standing near the bar, when a voice caught his attention