9. Out in the open-A

Readers,
Please take into notice that I do not want to create a negative image of Nandini, nor is she a villain here. She is just human, and was an adolescent who got carried away in peer pressure and stuff. Most of us do. We have sometime or other hurt our friends, haven't we? Also, it's a fiction story, please respect that.

-------------------

~ some moments are about our choices, and they do impact our life, a lot.~

Nandini was baffled by Shiwali's outburst, to say the least, and it bugged her to realize that somewhere she was right. Nandini had been selfish, and she knew that, but what she didn't understand was Manik's reaction towards her now. She could sense his uncomfortableness around her, his avoidance of situations that brought both of them together, but why? She didn't have the answer to that single why, as in why was he so angry with her. She also realized that marrying him because she loved him would be wrong but he was also not ready to talk to her and now she wanted answers. Frustrated, she picked up her handbag and mobile and rushed towards his office.

Manik on the other hand was sitting neck deep in work, like every other day when the cabin door opened and Shiwali entered with the tiffin. Manik looked up at her but one look at her face, and he knew arguing was worthless. He didn't want to eat as usual, also it wasn't even lunch time, but he could also not protest to his doctor. Shiwali served the lunch on the small coffee table kept at one side of the cabin, and Manik got up from his chair to join her, when pain shot through his lower back again. Hearing him moan out loud, Shiwali rushed to him, and made him sit on his chair, supporting his back. Swiftly she removed pain relief spray from the lower drawer and undid his shirt to expose his back and helped him spray the medication. Manik had closed his eyes to not scream due to the intense pain, his fist balled by his side. Shiwali had tears rolling down her eyes witnessing his face and it took her everything to not end up sobbing. A few minutes later, Manik visibly relaxed and took a deep breath as he sat on his chair properly and Shiwali sighed in relief. At the same exact moment Nandini pushed open the door and entered with a frustrated face and her gaze fell on Manik, who was sitting with his head resting back on the chair and Shiwali standing beside him, with tears in her eyes.

"Umm, I am sorry. I-I will come later", Nandini fumbled and Manik who was still not aware of her, opened his eyes at her voice, slightly shocked.

"No, I mean, we were having lunch. You can join?", Shiwali wiped her eyes, and smiled at her, which to be frank took Nandini by surprise. Her eyes lingered on Manik who was equally surprised by Shiwali's suggestion, and was passing her death glares.

"Don't give me those looks. You have to talk one day", Shiwali dismissed all his angry looks and Manik's mouth opened in shock.

" You scolded me, in my office?", He complained to her, pouting, and he looked so cute that made Nandini giggle seeing his face. How much she had missed these banters! Alas, it weren't her fortune now.

Shiwali didn't even bother to reply as she started serving him lunch on his office table itself, while making Nandini and herself comfortable on the couch.

" Actually, I came to ask a few questions!", Nandini cleared her throat in between, and looked up at Manik who looked uncomfortable at the mention of it.

"Shoot!", His voice came as a surprise for both, Nandini and Shiwali.

Now that she had the opportunity, Nandini didn't know how to put in words the questions she had been dying to ask since the day she came back. Taking a deep breath she looked up at him, to find him already looking at her.

"Why are you so angry with me?", She aksed, and Shiwali's hold on the couch material tightened. She prayed internally for things to go fine.

"I am not angry at you", Manik gave a Curt reply but it infuriated Nandini.

" Really? Then why are you being so mean?", She snapped, and Manik gave her a smirk.

" We are angry with people who mean something to us, and I don't think we mean anything to each other anymore", Manik played with the fork in his hand as he answered, taking her by complete surprise.

" Seriously Manik? We don't mean anything? Everything changed in ten years?", She was almost about to cry when she saw Manik stand up from his chair and come towwrds the couch, settling beside Shiwali.

" Everything had changed before these ten years Nandini. You had changed them, and now you don't get to blame me for that", Manik answered, very calmly, but Shiwali knew how much of a storm it took him to speak.

"I don't understand, what did I do? You didn't take my calls whenever I called from London, giving all kind of excused. How is it my fault?", Nandini was getting more confused each minute and to top that, it killed something inside her when she saw Manik intertwining his left hand with Shiwali.

" You want answers right? Alright, I will give them to you. But please Nandini I beg you please leave me alone after that, without testing my nerves!", Manik sighed and Nandini was again shocked to listen it from him.

Hearing it from Shiwali didn't have a impact like hearing it directly from her.

"But yes, I would love to hear your explanations, if you have any. I could benefit from a closure too", Manik's voice was deep, but formal, it didn't seem like the person Nandini had claimed to know all her life. She gulped the lump in her throat, she had a feeling she won't like what he was about to say.

" You remember the day you first went for a movie with Barkha and sprained your ankle?", Manik questioned and Nandini frowned remembering the incident before modding.

"So, you also remember calling me a mere neighbour you can't defy because of your mom, and also not denying her when she asked if I suffocate you?", Manik asked again, gritting his teeth this time.

Nandini's eyes widened in shock as the realization dawned upon her.

" Yes, I was standing behind you, holding a pain relief spray in my hand, to help you, when you awarded me with these remarks behind my back", Manik was growing agitated and Shiwali was starting to feel afraid.

" I suppose you also remember how you denied me for group studies then, spending all your time with your new group, and then lieing to me about going to the club", Manik spoke again, and now things had started to become a little clear to her.

" You were uncomfortable with that boy, you know that too, but for some unknown reason you lashed on me in front of everybody stating that I am not anybody to you", he stood up and started walking to and fro, while Nandini sat stumped.

" And then you called me not to apologize, but to tell me you were leaving because uncle had a transfer!", He uttered again, and Nandini looked up at him, teary eyed.

" I was ready to forgive and forget everything but that evening when I came with your favorite flowers and sweet, I was awarded with the knowledge that it was all your decision. I don't let you live life, and you wanted to explore and enjoy it, away from me, and stuff", Nandini was completely baffled now to hear it from him.

"I was standing outside your room, when you told all these to your new best friend", Manik was now softer, as he sat back into his former position.

" I am sorry Nandini but I don't think we were friends ever. Friends are supposed to hold your dignity behind your back and not shred them in pieces like you did mine. How can you expect me to act like your best friend again?", the accusations in his eyes did nothing but make her feel guiltier and Nandini burst into tears, now fully realizing what precious relation her immature decisions had destroyed.

Shiwali sat stunned, unaware of what was coming next. She was feeling bad for Nandini, who seemed unawre of the repercussions of her own actions, but Shiwali knew Nandini still had to know a few facts, consequences that were graver than just her broken friendship with Manik.