Chapter 10

Jerry

I didn't know why I was feeling sympathy for the desperate man. He had broken into my house, purposely cancelled my appointment and now here I was trying to reconnect him with his son. I approached the puddle that once encased the heart and slowly began to lower my hand. Before I even had time to react, the gum started reacting and reached up toward the heart. I wanted to play with the anomaly a little more but I couldn't move fast enough.

In a blink of an eye, what was once Gary's body jumped from the ground and wrapped around my hand with the heart now in the centre of it. It was almost like concrete as the gum locked me into place. I tried to break it open but it was rock solid. There was no way for me to pull myself out as the suction increased from just my palm to a good portion of my forearm. It created an air tight seal giving me no way of trying to pry it off. It was me, and I it.

"Doctor Jones what the hell is it doing?" I screamed in a panic while Colt was now barking in my direction.

I continued to try and shake it off but the pressure on the inside only became more aggressive. In minutes Gary would break my hand making everything shatter. There was no salvation as I looked at the doctor who was now panicking as well. Looking down at his blood vial and then back at me I knew he didn't have an answer. In a last resort effort I started to beat the blob against the brick on some of the wall accents.

Still no use. The doctor still in a daze attempted to get back to his feet, except he had already beaten himself to exhaustion. Another scream left my lungs as I could feel Gary tensing up again.

"GET IT OFF!" The scream was accompanied by a struggled breath.

However Gary seemed to react to my painful scream, as the pressure loosened not by much as the shell of gum started pulsating. It was a loud audible thump that just kept pounding and I was sure the doctor and I could both hear it. Pound after pound, it was starting to feel eerie, it was doing something, almost like it was a cocoon.

"Jerry are you okay, I can-"

Before doctor Jones could finish his sentence Gary started to mutate. Like a star fish, five appendages shot out from the centre core and started taking form. The more it developed the weaker I got. I was starting to fade each blink taking longer then the last as I looked over at the doctor his eyes as wide as dinner plates when I blinked for the last time and saw his mouth move. He said one word and then dropped to his knees.

Doctor Jones

I was in shock at what stood before me, so much so that instinctively I dropped to my knees. Staring at the being in front of my I watched as it's starfish like form continued to mutate in a complex matter until the shape of it finally became detailed, while Jerry continued to hang from the back.

I froze when he asked me to help him but what was there that I could do, If anyone had a chance of getting it off it would have been Jerry. All I could do was watch as he ferociously beat it against things. It was like he said, it was as hard as a rock and clearly the inner workings contained some sort of venom that paralyzed Jerry. I didn't have a good view of the man now as the final details emerged on what was once Gary Gumball.

Remaining on my knees, I couldn't help but drop the blood vial out of my hand as it rolled across the floor. I struggled to trust my eyes as in front of me like a bunny made of chocolate, my son stood in a bubblegum mold. Every detail was the same as the last time I laid eyes on him, even the opening in his chest where I failed the surgery.

In the opening I could see Jerry's hand holding the heart. The man's fingers barely had any fat on them and were nearly bone. I struggled to say anything, as the world seemed to slow down and I only had one word left in my mouth.