Two: Concoctions and Conflicts

Azalea's heart pounded as she leaned against the wall. She couldn't believe what Riddle was asking of her. She knew he was dark, but she didn't know he was planning to make a Horcrux that year. And what was more was that Tom had said that Azalea would have more tasks ahead of her.

Her first task seemed simple: she was to assist Tom in finding out more about Horcruxes. That meant that the two would be spending a lot of time together. Azalea hated it, just as she hated him.

That night, she tossed and turned. Her mind was filled with nightmares of Tom Riddle's task. Her thoughts raced through her head like tiny gnats tormenting her.

After a vicious cycle of dozing off only to wake up with another thought, Azalea was able to get some sleep. Granted, it was only four hours, but it was enough for her to survive the first day of classes.

Azalea woke up at six every morning, which gave her enough time to get ready, eat breakfast, and have at least thirty minutes of free time before classes, which started at eight. She was always the first one up because the rest of the girls didn't follow as structured of a schedule that Azalea did.

After brushing her teeth, putting on her school uniform, and washing her face, Azalea brushed her dark hair, then tied it into a low ponytail. When she left the bathroom, the rest of the girls were awake.

"Why," Poppy asked with a yawn, "Does she always get up so early?"

"Because I don't want to get a T on my exams," Azalea said pointedly.

"It was a P!" Poppy exclaimed, "And I made an A on my retry," she added.

Scoffing, Natalie remarked, "Not everyone can get twelve O's."

"If I can get an O in Arithmancy, which I'm horrid at-"

"Not everyone is like you," Caroline interjected whilst braiding her hair, "Not everybody takes Muggle Studies just to try and one-up Tom Riddle."

Azalea glared at Caroline, then left the dormitory. As she walked up the stone stairs, she noticed two boys leaning against the wall outside of the boys' dormitory. Glaring icily, she greeted them. "Lestrange, Malfoy."

Abraxias Malfoy was a tall and lean boy with slicked back, blond hair and pointed, pale face accessorized with an ever-present sneer. "Verdine," he replied coolly.

"What do I owe the, well, I can't exactly call it a pleasure," Azalea remarked loftily.

"Now now, Azalea, there's no need to be so hostile," Lestrange said condescendingly. Rodolphus Lestrange was also tall, but he was muscular. His brunette locks made soft waves, and his dark eyes were always alert.

Azalea and Lestrange had history, so they were always in conflict with each other.

Azalea crossed her arms. "So, what do you want? Surely you aren't standing here just to get on my nerves," she sneered.

"I've got a message for you," Lestrange answered.

Azalea quirked an eyebrow. "Okay?"

"Riddle wants you to meet him in the library after breakfast," he said.

"Is that so?" Azalea replied with a venom-laced voice, "Well if he wants to tell me something, he should come himself instead of sending his lapdogs."

Abraxias Malfoy glared. "How dare you speak to me that way?" he spat.

"I'm surprised that you can fit through that door. The size of your head must make it difficult," Azalea said calmly, not threatened by Malfoy in the least.

"Speaking of dogs, you're being a bitch," Rodolphus Lestrange remarked, his tone just as level as Azalea's.

"That's funny seeing as you're Riddle's," Azalea quipped. Nodding to the two, she left the common room with a satisfied smirk.