Ch. 5. The Surprise of a Destiny

"It's her."

Unsurprisingly, it was in the morning when Mia had spotted the girl with the ginger hair from her vision. There was something about school mornings that had always led to drama.

The moment the girls had met up to walk to school together, Mia had explained her entire vision to the Flutter Friends. At first, they were all slightly shocked that none of them had gone to phase three. They then tried to list all the girls they knew who had ginger hair. The grand total was one and he wasn't even a girl.

"Are you sure it was a girl?" Annabelle asked.

"It's a girl," Rosetta answered. Initially, Mia's mind had put a mental guard up but after a short, physical nudge, Rosetta had access to her mind and saw the vision for herself. "But what about Jared?"

Mia had left that bit of the vision out for the other Flutter Friends but Rosetta always found out. When the girls heard his name, they all went silent, the question left unanswered.

They had arrived at school before the bell and sat down on their bench. They had managed to start another discussion but Jared had remained on the back of their minds. What would happen if he did come back? Would anything happen?

Then Mia had spotted the girl.

"Do we go up to her and say hi?" Fiona asked. The girl was wondering around the school grounds, as though she was searching for something. The Flutter Friends agreed with Fiona and they got up and started to walk over to the girl.

When the girl looked over to the small group coming to her, she waved at them. They all waved back and the girl started to walk towards them now as well. It had all seemed fine until Rosetta stopped walking.

"I can't- I can't read her mind," Rosetta, said, a look of shock on her face. The Flutter Friends stared at her and they turned back to see that the girl had reached them and heard what Rosetta had said. A look of panic appeared on all of their faces but the girl just laughed. She was definitely not human or fairy or even pixie.

"I'd be shocked if you could," the girl said. She stuck her hand out, a wide grin on her face. "I'm Emily Destiny."

"Destiny?" Mia echoed. The girl, Emily, retracted her hand and nodded at Mia. "Are you related to Jared Destiny?"

"Yeah! How do you know him?"

It was as if the question had activated sombre background music and Mia looked into the distance dramatically. The Flutter Friends looked in the same direction and Emily looked a little confused.

"I don't get-" Rosetta immediately shushed her. It was backstory time.

"Jared and I used to be best friends. We were closer than even the Flutter Friends and I. It was no secret that I liked him, like a lot. The girls used to tease me all the time because of that and eventually one day, one of them had convinced me that he liked me too, like liked me a lot. And I was crazy enough to believe it. So one evening, we were just hanging out at his house and I don't even know how it happened but I confessed and he confessed and it felt amazing. We were boyfriend and girlfriend and a real couple and it was the best time of my life. But... it had only lasted a week." The Flutter Friends knew the story but they stilled gasped alongside Emily. "Jared vanished. His house was empty and there had been no warnings. I haven't heard from him for three years. Is he... is he here?"

"Yes," Emily answered softly. "He's only my step-brother, by the way. Not my actual brother if you were wondering."

"Hey, Emily," Delilah said. "Want to join the Flutter Friends?"

"The what?"

☾☾☾

The Flutter Friends had managed to avoid Jared for the entirety of the day. Mia wasn't ready to confront him yet and she was sure she wouldn't have the same luck tomorrow. So that night, she wanted to try to have a vision again. Maybe get a glimpse at how the confrontation would go.

She repeated the same actions as the night before: got into bed, looked at mother's journal, thought about Daniel, thought about journal and then she closed her eyes.

Shedidn't dream that night.