Chapter 12

Brittany POV

         My face dropped. My eyes widened. My breathing stopped. Everything had become frozen. "B-Baby?" I let escape my lips. Mrs. Kendrick jumps out of her seat and looks to me, shock and regret written all over. 
         "Brittany, you weren't suppose to hear that," Mrs. Kendrick said, slowly. I walk into the room and look at Anna. I walk so I'm right beside the beside. I pull the covers down and go to lift her shirt up when her mother grabs my hands. "Brittany, please. She didn't....she didn't want you to know." 
         "Didn't want me to know?" I spit out. "Janice she tells me everything. Why wouldn't she want me to know she's have a baby?" I felt angry but at the same time I felt upset. Mrs. Kendrick dropped her head and closed her eyes. I saw tears trickle down her cheeks. "Mrs. Kendrick?" 
         "She didn't want to tell you because she was ashamed on how she got it," She pauses but quickly speaks up before I could even open my mouth. "It's not Ben's child. She went to a doctor to ask if there was a sperm downer who would have qualities like you." My eyes widen and my face drops. "She wanted to have a baby with you, Britt. And she was going to tell you herself, but with everything going on she didn't want..." Her voice dragged off. 
         "Didn't w-w-want w-what?" I stutter out, still trying to process everything that's going on. Mrs. Kendrick looks directly into my eyes and takes my hands in her's. 
         "She didn't want you to leave her. I know it's stupid but that's what she thought." She looks down for a brief second and then looks back up. "She didn't want you to leave after everything y'all have been through." 
         "Mrs. Kendrick I would never leave Anna. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me," I pause a moment and then continue. "Even if she had asked for my sperm I would give it to her so our child would have my qualities. And I always wanted a child. But... is that why...is that why Ben-" I couldn't finish. But Mrs. Kendrick caught on and nodded her head up and down. I bite my lip and look to the small pale girl. "God, she probably thinks the baby's dead." 
        "Yeah, that's probably why she's not waking up," Mrs. Kendrick whispers. I walk over to Anna and sit down beside her, taking her hand in mine. I give her hand a soft, sweet kiss and then stare at her closed eyes. 
        "Anna if you can hear me... I need you to listen."