Chapter Ten

"-till with us?"

Percy's head shot up at the sound of the teacher's voice. He was plagued by nightmares the previous night and the lack of sleep was catching up with him. His eyes focused in on the blackboard that showed a linear acceleration model. It was at times like these that he was s grateful for Anna- her extra tutoring and the gods getting rid of his dyslexia.

"Uh, yeah. Mass cancels out, so it's just gravity times sine."

"Right. See, Flash, being the fastest isn't always the best if you are wrong," the woman said condescendingly. Percy didn't even notice Flash threatening him, his eyes were focused on the teacher. Now that he thought about it, he couldn't remember her teaching there very long. The way she purposely antagonized Flash so he would blame Peter was suspicious as well. He would have to bring it up to his cousins after school. Percy couldn't risk alerting her now and causing a scene that would get him expelled.

Thoughts on his teacher faded to the back of his mind as the day went on. In chemistry, he worked on the third version of his web fluid, mixing chemicals in the drawer of his desk when no one was looking.  He finally saw Ned again at lunch. The two sat at their normal table and Percy decided to share his weird feelings about his teacher with his friend.

"I'm just saying, she made Flash angry with me on purpose by humiliating him!" Peter exclaimed.

"I don't know man, Ms. Warren has always been super nice. I mean, she stays after every Wednesday for extra help. Anyone who voluntarily deals with high schoolers more than they have to has to be a saint," Ned countered. Percy cursed in his mind. Ned was probably affected by the Mist and therefore would have no reason to be wary of her. It was a good thing today was Wednesday, so he could confront her after school. 

"Yeah man, you're probably right," Peter dropped the subject, "but I still think she's a little strange."

Ned chuckled, "What did Flash look like when everyone started laughing?"

"Oh, he was so mad. His face looked like a tomato. I think he wanted to legitimately murder me," Peter snorted, thinking back to that morning. 

"Look, it's Liz," Ned said suddenly, gesturing to the senior as she hung up a sign for homecoming. 

Peter's attention snapped to Liz. He sighed dreamily, "She looks amazing. Is that a new top?

"No, we've seen that before, just never with that skirt," Ned responded instantly. Percy looked at him like he was an alien. He had meant for the question to be rhetorical, he didn't think Ned would actually have an answer.

Ned caught his slightly horrified gaze. "I have a really good memory! It's not creepy," He tried to defend himself. 

"Peter's right for once. It is creepy, you guys are losers. Also, Ms. Warren is odd. She just showed up one day and started teaching, with no explanation as to where the last guy went," Michelle butted in from a few seats down.

Percy threw his hands up, "See, I told you!"

Ned ignored him and focused in on the first part of her statement, "Why do you sit with us then?"

"Because I have no friends," Michelle deadpanned like it was obvious.

***

"Peter, it's nationals, are you sure that you can't get one weekend off?" Mr. Harrington asked him again at Decathalon practice. 

"I can't go to Washington. If Mr. Stark needs me, I have to make sure I'm here," Peter tried to get his point across. If anything happened and people were hurt because he wasn't there, he would never forgive himself.