Chapter Eighteen

Percy managed to get back to the hotel five minutes before the Decathlon started. He ran through the crowd of people as quickly as possible. He made it to the auditorium where it was being hosted right as Flash was about to walk on stage. Ned stood off to the side, talking with Mr. Harrington in a hushed whisper. When he caught sight of Peter jogging up, a huge smile lit up his face.

"Peter! You made it! I'm glad you're feeling better," Mr. Harrington said, patting him on the back.

Peter tried to roll with whatever excuse Ned came up with. "Yeah, I am definitely feeling better."

"Good, because you are back in. Flash, you are sitting this round out," the teacher directed. Flash huffed before storming off. Peter quickly made his way on stage where he took a seat next to Michelle.

"Ned," Peter tried to whisper, "where's the-"

"Peter, the round is starting," Liz warned under her breath.

"But-"

Liz glared at him until he could no longer meet her eyes and looked down. Peter resigned himself to getting the Chitauri core after the match had ended. He focused on the official explaining the rules at the podium and tried to take his mind off of the bomb that might explode. The only positive thing was that his Spider-Sense wasn't going off. He hoped that that meant they were in the clear.

The tournament went by in a flash. Peter didn't answer that many questions, he was too focused on the Chitauri stone. They still managed to win the championship with Michelle answering the last question in the sudden death round.

As the rest of their team was celebrating, Peter grabbed Ned and pulled him backstage. "Where's the stone?"

"The stone? It's right here," Ned patted down his pockets before looking around confusedly. He spotted his backpack leaning on the floor and grabbed it. He looked quickly rifled through the pockets before a panicked expression took over his face. He started to hyperventilate. "It was here, I swear."

Peter grabbed Ned by the shoulders, trying to calm him down. "Are you sure? Ned, I need you to think."

Ned took a deep breath and closed his eyes. After a moment he opened them again and said uncertainly, "I may have left it in the room."

Peter let out a small sigh of relief. At least it was away from the large crowd of people. "Okay, while you guys go to Washington Monument I'll head back to the hotel and track it down."

"Did you figure out what it is?"

"Yeah, and that's why I need to get it back," Peter told him, unintentionally vague. Ned just gave him an expectant look. Peter stared back at him, not understanding why his friend was staring at him."

Ned sighed exasperatedly and clarified, "What is it?"

"Oh, it's a bomb."

"It's a what?!"

***

After calming Ned down, Peter quietly snuck off and made his way back to the hotel. He ran up to the hotel room and started looking around the room. He checked under the beds, in between the sheets, and even in the bathroom but he could not find the Chitauri core. He was about ten seconds away from panicking when his phone beeped and distracted him. It was a text from Thalia reading, "CHcK TRH NEWS!!"

A moment later another text came in. "SOMETHING IS HAPPENING AT WASHINGTON MONUMENT."

And then another. "YOU IDIOT! WHAT DID YOU DO??"

Peter didn't even bother to check the news. He stripped down and put his suit on. He sent Thalia a text saying that he was on his way then ran out of the hotel as quickly as possible. He could see the Washington Monument from the parking lot and mentally thanked Mr. Harrington for choosing a hotel only two or three miles away.