Awake

Min Yoongi, if you are reading this, I want you to do me a favour. I know I have no right to ask you for one, considering the fact that the fire tragedy occurred because of me. But this is in the interest of one whom we both hold close to our hearts. Please take care of Jiminie. He is an angel incarnate and he deserves the world and more. Protect him, keep him happy. I will be eternally grateful. The two of you have taught me the true value of love. Thank you.

I hope you can forgive me, Jimin. Tomorrow we will be back to our usual schedules, and I truly hope that we can work towards rebuilding our friendship.

Yours sincerely,
Kim Taehyung

Taehyung put down his pen. He suddenly realised that there were tears streaming down his face. He wiped them away. What he was doing would be good for everyone. He had caused what had nearly been the tragedy of their school life. He had broken the heart of the only person who had always been there for him. He had pushed away everyone who had tried to help him. Unconsciously, as he coped with his grief, he had become an image of his despicable uncle.

The events that occurred in Park Jimin and Min Yoongi's life had opened his eyes to this truth. He realised what a terrible person he had become. He was going to fix everything now. He would slowly accept responsibility for everything and he would work towards becoming a better person. The person he had been before his life became the remnants of a plane crash. Maybe, he would even consider Jung Hoseok's invitation to the amusement park next Monday, when there was an extended holiday from school.

Taehyung sighed and folded his letter neatly. He tiptoed downstairs, keeping a look out for his relatives.

"What do you think you are doing, young man?"

He nearly jumped a foot in the air. His aunt stood at the foot of the stairs, peering at him through her thick glasses.

"Nothing! I was just looking for you. I was wondering if I could borrow an envelope. I need it for a school project."

She smiled at him, "They are in the bottom drawer of the cabinet by the television."

"Oh, okay, thank you! May I ask, where is uncle?"
"He's out on an office trip. He'll be back tomorrow night."
"Alright."
"Listen Tae, please order take out today, or make something for dinner. I am not feeling very well, and I would like to retire for the night now."
"Alright. Would you like me to bring you something?"
"No, no, just eat properly. See you in the morning!"

She was gone.

Taehyung sighed. He would be alone that night. It was a perfect opportunity to deliver the letter.

***

"Tell Taehyungie we love him."
"Tell TaeTae not to worry."
"There was no plane crash."
"The media was misinformed."
"Stuck in Cuba."
"Trying to fly back as soon as possible."
"Lost identity proofs, but the government is helping us a lot."
"Cannot receive letters from anyone, but can send to family."
"Hope everything is well back at home."

It was all a lie. They were liars. They hadn't bothered to tell him about the letters that had arrived nearly every week since news of his parents' disappearance arrived. They had let him suffer, let everyone suffer because of him. Taehyung replaced the letters in the drawer with shaking hands. He took an empty envelope and it was a wonder that he was able to properly put Jimin's letter into it and seal it. He then grabbed a jacket and the house keys, and mounted his cycle before making his way to Jimin's house.

***

"Taehyung."

This is what he had been dreading. That Jimin would open the door. Mustering up whatever courage he had, he took a deep breath and held out the envelope.

"What is this?"
"An apology."
"Is this just going to be like the other day?"
"No. I'm genuinely sorry, Jimin. Please read the letter while I apologise to your parents in person."

Jimin narrowed his eyes. He then stepped aside and gestured towards the kitchen, "Go ahead."

Taehyung mumbled his gratitude and moved towards the kitchen. There, he saw Mr. Park cooking dinner in an apron, while Mrs. Park chopped vegetables for salad. They had been chatting merrily, but when they saw him, their expressions changed instantly into ones of worry.

"Tae! How have you been? What has happened to you?"
"Taehyungie! Why have you lost so much weight? Why do you look so unhappy?"

Taehyung struggled to control his tears. He realised that there was never any way in which he could have been a burden to these people. He regretted not coming to them earlier.

"I'm really sorry for all the disrespect you have been subjected to because of my uncle and aunt. I would also like to apologise for the emotional trauma I caused Jiminie. You know I love him, but there have been certain issues that I couldn't bring myself to talk to you about, and I unleashed all my angst on him. I fell into mourning and I didn't share my problems with you because I thought I would be a burden to you. I realise now how stupid I was."

Jimin's mother pulled him into a warm hug. She spoke softly, "Tell us what happened. Maybe we can help you out. Better late than never, right?"

Taehyung nodded and they pulled away. He told them everything- the plane disappearance, how he had been mistreated because his uncle and aunt were now his legal guardians and he was their responsibility, how he had used pushing people away as a coping mechanism because he didn't want their pity, he knew that everyone had their own problems and they needn't be burdened by his, and finally, his recent discovery of the letters from his parents who were safe in Cuba, trying their hardest to get back home. He couldn't understand why his uncle had hidden them from him. By the time he had finished his story, he had slid to the floor, tears streaming down his face, with Jimin's parents staring at him in shock. Unknown to the three of them, Jimin stood in the hallway. He had heard the entire story, and his cheeks were damp. He could not understand why Taehyung hadn't trusted him enough to share all this with him. He felt betrayed, but he also felt an immense sense of pity for his former boyfriend. He now understood why Taehyung had behaved as he had. He read the letter once again, and quietly slipped upstairs, into his room, and shut the door.