Singularity

"Why?"

The evil uncle could almost feel his wife's anger seeping into his bones. The question sent chills down his spine, and he gulped.

"Answer me. Why did you do it?"
"For his own good."
"That, that is a lie."
"No! I swear!"
"Why would it be good for Taehyung if he didn't know his parents were alive? Are you aware how badly he has been affected? Are you aware that you have mistreated him so much that he is on the brink of clinical depression? Were it not for his parents, he wouldn't have been such a sorted person and..."

She trailed off, eyes widening in realisation.

"You did it deliberately. You hoped they didn't return."

He smirked, despite his fear. His voice held a hint of a mocking tone, "So you finally understand? You do have a mind like mine if you already understand where this is going."

She narrowed her eyes in disgust, "You are a horrible person and I regret having married you."

"Too late for that, honey. The only reason I didn't tell either of you that my dear sister and brother-in-law are alive, is because I hoped against hope that they wouldn't be able to return. Taehyung would be our legal responsibility and so would all their wealth. I have never really forgiven my parents for leaving everything in my sister's name. I love her too much to do her any harm, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to take everything that rightfully should have been mine."

His wife just gave him a pitying glance. She turned and walked out, slamming the door as she did.

***

Taehyung stood atop the city's viewing point tower. He could see his entire hometown from up here. He breathed in the fresh air. He had switched off his phone and come here all alone. This was his favourite place in the city, and no one knew but Jimin and his parents. Hardly anyone came here at this time of the year. He was free to do what he wanted.

He lay down atop the tower and gazed at the azure blue sky. It hadn't been this blue for a very long time. He stared at it for so long he got lost in its eternal, infinite beauty.

He was ten years old. His parents had brought him to the mountains for the vacations. He had loved every bit of it- the frosty air, the majestic snow capped peaks, the colourful flowers. On morning, he watched as two birds fought over a worm. The bigger won, as the smaller pathetically fell to the floor of their resort room's balcony. It looked hurt, so he carefully carried it to his mother. When she saw it, she became so worried, he hoped it wasn't dead. She said it had broken its wing because the bigger one had hit it so hard. Over the next few days, they fixed the bird's wing. Before they were about to leave, the bird managed to fly away to freedom with the hope of life. Taehyung had learnt that bullies may break someone, but he must always be the person that fixes those who are broken. The joy it brings to one's heart is incomparable.

He had become the very person he had vowed to save others form. A bully. He had been bullied. He had lost his voice. So he had found pleasure in stealing other's voices. But was it really pleasure? Had he really enjoyed being feared? Or had he just been trying to convince himself that he did? He had strayed so far from the path that was meant for him.

In that moment, he felt a sense of realisation, a sense of singularity. He understood his purpose in this world. It did not matter that life threw the trashiest situations at him, he would work hard to help anyone who was suffering in any way. He would be the vanquisher of bullies, the saviour of the bullied. When he finished his studies and got into a career of his choice, he would devote his life and works solely to the betterment of the lives of those less privileged than him.

"Taehyung!"

He was awoken from his reverie. He realised that the voice had been calling out to him for a while now. He wondered who it was.

"Taehyung!"
"Tae, where are you?"

There was one person. With a start, he realised it was Hoseok. He got up, brushing his pants.

"Hyung! I am up here!"

The senior waved when he spotted him. Within a couple of moments, he had rushed to the top and was hugging him. Tae was rather surprised. He gently extracted himself from Hoseok's bear hug and spoke in a gentle voice, "Is something wrong hyung?"

Hoseok seemed to release a huge sigh of relief. Tae sat down and patted the ground beside him. Hoseok took his invitation and plonked down too. He looked like he had been on the verge of tears.

"TaeTae, don't ever do that again!"
"Do what?"
"You disappeared! Your phone was switched off, you weren't at home. Jimin had no idea where you were, and neither did Namjoon. I was so worried! With every thing that has been going on, I thought... I thought..."

He could not finish, but Taehyung knew exactly what he had thought. He hugged his senior and kissed the side of his head, "Calm down, hyung! You should know by now that I am not that sort of a person. There is too much this world has to offer. I will never consider leaving it just because life throws trash at me. You needn't worry about that ever."

Hoseok smiled at him, and he thought he had never seen anything more beautiful.