Silly Daze: Part 3

Chapter 3: Checkups and Mixups

Dr. Roberts noticed that Sang had not stopped fidgeting, her eyes flickering at every inch of the room and her entire body nearly vibrating as if the poor girl wanted to jump through the roof.

He reached out a hand to gently grasp one of hers—in reassurance—and she actually jumped so hard that her bottom left the table and she was airborn for no less than 3 full seconds. Poor dear.

"Now, now," he admonished gently, "none of that little one. Haven't we always had a bit of fun together? Now, here, you chew on this and just let it calm you down a bit." He smiled when she looked confused, only to look down and notice her own hand was now gripping a strawberry candy.

He winked at her, relishing in the tiny smile she released for him.

She was strung so tight that he could have attacked her to a violin and played a song.

He began to talk to her about a few inane topics—what he had done this weekend, a game he'd watched on television, and oh, "My wife, I love her so, but I swear she wants to drive me into the madhouse. She's decided we're to host the next Halloween party for our neighborhood."

He paused, taking in the fact that Sang's anxiety levels had had no visible change, despite his introduction of the sweet treat.

He continued without making note of it aloud, hoping his voice was soothing enough that she would just get caught up in the conversation and realize nothing was going wrong.

"You see, our neighbors are the social sort. And my wife, well she was born to be a social butterfly. I don't mind having a bit of fun myself, but well, as I'm sure you've seen with Sean, we doctors don't always have the time to be social or the energy. And well anyway, we're having the Halloween party at our home and she—my lovely spouse—decided that the theme is going to be Batman and the Joker. She's planning to dress at Harley Quinn, while I have to come up with the abs to pull off the Batman himself."

Dr. Roberts wasn't lying—his wife really was going to drive him nutters, but he loved her so much he'd give her the moon on a stick if he could. He was happy to see that, at this pause, Sang was actually getting caught up in his tale.

That is if her nearly silent giggles were anything to go by, her small shoulders shaking but for a different reason this time.

"What," he squawked, pretending to be indignant, "you don't think I can pull it off?"

Just for good measure, he stood, sucking in his breath and gritting his teeth. "I'm Batman," he nearly growled.

Sang's giggles were let out full force at this, unrestrained and happy-sounding. Thank God, Dr. Roberts thought. There would've been 9 angry young gentlemen if that'd gone any other way.

Because Sang had giggled and wasn't quite as visibly anxious anymore, Dr. Roberts thought that they could move on and begin the checkup. It really was just a simple thing. Get a few x-rays, make sure there's nothing broken. A blood test just to check for any anomalies. Heart murmurs, blood pressure, anything Sean could think of actually. But Dr. Roberts was happy to do it as often as Sean wanted it done, the younger doctor being remarkable in his field and Dr. Roberts knowing exactly how it felt to want your loved ones cared for.

Unfortunately, when Dr. Roberts pulled the stool to sit next to Sang again, his own smile fell from his face as her body again began to vibrate, this time even inching away from him and her eyes jumping to the exact opposite direction. Her hands came up to twist and pull lightly at the ends of her hair and her teeth bit into her bottom lip.