Disbelief

Olivia smiled as she realized that her relationship with Nathan was going to be a good one for sure

Olivia smiled as she realized that her relationship with Nathan was going to be a good one for sure. Plus, she was now a US senior woman champion. When she called her family, they were all really happy for her, they wanted to take her and Nathan to celebrate and she happily agreed. She and Nathan got ready and met in the lobby of the hotel everyone was staying at. They took a taxi to the restaurant that her family loved going to. As they walked in and looked around, they saw Olivia's two older brothers and her mom and dad. They waved them over with serious like faces. Olivia was confused, but she thought it was just a joke.

Olivia's dad stood up and shook Nathan's hand.  Olivia could see Nathan was nervous and giggled to herself when she saw how frightened he looked. 

"Nathan, so, you're dating my daughter, correct?"

Nathan gulped, "Yes, sir."

"You can call me John!" Nathan seemed to relax a little bit, "Thank you, John." Nathan held Olivia's hand and smiled. Nathan was too busy talking to her older brothers about hockey that only Olivia noticed the mood changed between her parents. Her parents kept giving each other looks as if they were trying to secretly communicate.

"Mom? Dad? What's going on?" Olivia asked.

"Um, honey, I'm very happy for you for making it into the Olympic team." Olivia's mom nervously chuckled and looked at her husband for help. 

"What your mother is trying to say, is that you should be more focused on your skating."

"I am! I practice for a minimum of two hours every day and I go to the gym for an hour every day. I work really hard for this." 

Olivia's dad sighed and looked at his daughter in the eye before continuing, "We know but..." Olivia's dad brought his voice down to a whisper and glanced at Nathan nervously, but before he could say anything, Olivia narrowed her eyes and started to speak.

"Dad. Anything you can say to me, in a public restaurant, is anything you can say to Nathan," At the mention of his name, Nathan turned around and looked at Olivia, "Anything wrong, love?" Olivia blushed before she quickly realized that her dad had something to say. "Um, no, but my dad has something he wants to say," Nathan looked at her dad and smiled, encouraging him to go on. 

Olivia's dad looked at Nathan and Olivia and gritted his teeth. "John." Olivia's mom took hold of her husband's arm trying to calm down. The tension was so real that Olivia's brothers were all looking at them with wide eyes too. Nathan was the only one that had no idea what was going on, he was just too innocent.

"Fine. Here's the deal. I want you to be happy Olivia, I really do, but do you think Nathan's going to help achieve your happiness?" 

"John!" Olivia's mom looked at him with her mouth wide open. 

Olivia had tears in her eyes, trying not to let them spill, but one tear escaped. As her mom scolded her dad, Nathan turned to Olivia. 

He held her face in his hands and used his thumb to wipe the tear away. "Olivia," he whispered, "it's going to be okay, will figure out why. I'm okay, you're okay, but in order for everyone to calm down, I'm going to need you to calm do-"

"How dare you dad? How could you say this to me?" Olivia said in a strained whisper, "Nathan and I love each other. I made it into the Olympics and this is how you celebrate? Well, I don't know what world you live in, but this is not my definition of a celebration. You don't just say this, I can focus perfectly fine. Even though Nathan and I weren't together yet, I skated better than I ever had with him on my mind at Nationals." Nathan noticed Olivia's tears streaming down her cheeks and tried to calm her down. "Olivia..." Olivia sniffled and whispered, "It's okay Nathan, I'll be fine." Nathan nodded and held her hand. 

"Sir... I love your daughter, and I love her because of her determination and focus when it comes to anything she does. I will always want the best for her, and if she were to ever lose focus on something, especially figure skating, I will let her know. There's nothing to be worried about, Olivia is an amazing person, she has set world records for women's figure skating. I don't want to be rude and step into family business, but I agree with you. She should always be focused, but I don't think I'll be a reason." Nathan sighed and shook his head, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said those things. It was out of my place." Olivia gave him a small smile before looking at her dad. 

"You're right, you shouldn't have. I think it's time you leave now." Olivia's dad crossed his arms over his chest and gave him a look. Nathan nodded and stood up, he kissed Olivia's head and whispered in her ear, "I'll wait for you outside, come whenever you're ready." He knew that Olivia wouldn't be able to stay the entire dinner without running off. Olivia sighed and held Nathan's hand, holding him back. "If he has to leave, then I'm going with him. Mom, call me later." Olivia's mom gave the two skaters sad smiles and nodded at Olivia. 

Nathan handed Olivia her coat and the two of them took off. When they got in the taxi, Nathan and Olivia sat in silence. Not long after, Nathan heard Olivia's quiet sniffles and motioned for her to come closer. He wrapped his arms around her and played with her hair. Olivia soon fell asleep and Nathan carried her back to his room since he couldn't find her room key. He placed her on his bed and went to go sleep on the couch in his room when he heard his name. 

"Nathan. Come here." Nathan walked over in confusion. Olivia shifted over and gave room for Nathan. She took Nathan's hand and pulled him down, "Stay with me." Nathan agreed and pulled her close letting her cry on his shirt. 

"Shh... it's going to be okay." The two of them fell asleep hoping for some better news tomorrow.