Letting Go

The meeting in the lounge room about the Olympics was successful

The meeting in the lounge room about the Olympics was successful. The new team decided to go to lunch together and celebrate some more, but from the look on Olivia's face, Nathan knew she didn't want to. She was still clearly hurt from last night's talk with her dad. Nathan was glad that she didn't push him away though, he knew that he needed to be there for her, and he made a promise to himself to never hurt her. 

As everyone walked to the elevator, Nathan held Olivia's hand and looked at her. Olivia looked up at him with quivering lips, Nathan immediately got the message and told her to wait.

"Um, guys, Olivia's not feeling well, so I think I'm going to take care of her." 

"AWWW!!!" Adam and Alex both gave Nathan wide smiles causing Nathan to chuckle.

"Anyway, I'll see you later." Nathan walked away and put his arm around Olivia and started to guide her to the stairs. "Wait!" Olivia pushed Nathan's arm off of her shoulders and gave Nathan a sad look, "I don't want you to miss out just because you feel the need to take care of me. I'll be fine."

Nathan sighed and whispered, "Love, you know I want to help you. You're obviously hurting right now, I want to help you get through this. Come on, let's go to my room. Or I could drop you off at your room and I'll be in my room right across the hall, so anytime you need me, I'll be there." Olivia hugged Nathan and sniffled, "Thank you, I love you so much. I want you to stay with me, can we go to your room?" Nathan smiled, "There's no need to thank me and of course." Nathan placed his hand on Olivia's back and rubbed it gently, guiding her up the stairs.

Nathan entered his key into his room and let Olivia go. She immediately laid on the bed and went under the covers. Nathan noticed she was shivering, "Are you cold?" Olivia nodded, and Nathan walked into his closet pulling out a sweatshirt, "Here, you can keep it if it makes you feel better." Olivia gave Nathan a small smile as Nathan handed her the sweatshirt. 

Nathan laid down beside Olivia and Olivia moved closer. She buried herself into Nathan's shirt and started crying. "Why? Why would they think you would distract me?" 

"I don't know, Olivia, we'll figure it out. Do you want to call them?" 

"Yes, but I can't do it, can you?" Nathan closed his eyes and kissed Olivia on the top of her head. He got up when Olivia pulled him back down, he chuckled, "Yes?"

"Do it here, and put it on speakerphone, I want to hear what they have to say." 

"Okay, but you need to stay quiet. Are you sure you can handle it? Is it too soon?"

"We have to start somewhere right?" Olivia whispered. Then she handed her phone to Nathan, "I want you to call my dad first."

Nathan nodded and pressed on her dad's contact.

One ring, two rings, three rings, click.

Nathan put it on speakerphone, so Olivia could hear what her dad had to say. "Sir, it's Nathan."

Sigh, "Nathan why do you have my daughter's phone? Are you guys still together?"

Nathan looked down at Olivia and put a finger to his lips, signaling her to stay quiet, "Yes, sir. We are, again, I have no right to step in your family's business, and I don't want to, but your daughter is hurting right now. She's hurt by the words you said to her. I understand where you are coming from, and if it will make your relationship better with your daughter, then I will step out and let go. I-I will let go of your daughter if it's n-necessary," Nathan closed his eyes trying not to look at Olivia. There was silence and Nathan's grip on Olivia loosened. The only sound was Olivia's quiet sobs. 

"You know what Nathan, I think your right. You should let go, you guys can be together, but it'll have to wait, until after the Olympics." Click

Olivia sobbed and held on to Nathan as he tried to get up. "Olivia," he whispered, "Please," Olivia let go and watched as Nathan stood up, he walked over to the couch and sat down, "Try, to get some rest, I'll be here. We'll talk later." 

Olivia slowly fell asleep angry at Nathan and at her dad. Olivia questioned why Nathan would do such a thing. Doesn't my dad know that this will make our relationship worse? If I can't be happy with Nathan, then I can't be happy with anyone.  

Nathan himself was angry. He made a promise not to hurt her, and he clearly did. What could he do? He couldn't be the reason a family fought. He wondered whether his decision was a good one or not.