After the Storm

Five hours have passed since Chloe and Max have left Arcadia Bay. Not a single word has been heard from Max since their departure. Chloe knew Max needed her space, but she made sure to check on her every once in a while.

Chloe just drove, not sure where their destination even was. For now, they could travel from hotel to hotel, or even stay in Chloe's truck if it came down to financial problems.

Max didn't know how to feel about the events of today. All of her friends, family, classmates, and even enemies, could be dead. Kate, Warren, Joyce, Dana... All of them could be erased from this world. She couldn't help but blame herself. She kept these feelings to herself, not even sure what to say to Chloe right now.

She appreciated Chloe's support. Every once in a while Max would feel Chloe gently rub her shoulder, and Max would give Chloe a reassuring look. Max didn't care where they would end up, right now her mind was just in a different place.

Chloe looked down the dark, almost empty highway. It was getting late, and she figured that tonight she would find a hotel for her and Max. She wanted to make Max feel as comfortable as possible, just so she could ease Max's mind, especially considering how exhausted Max would be after today.

Max looked up as Chloe exited the highway, soon pulling up to a very small hotel. Once she felt the truck come to a stop, she sighed as she grabbed her camera bag, which was really the only belonging she had with her.

Before Chloe got out, she turned to Max and spoke softly. "I'm sorry this isn't the nicest place. Tomorrow we can go get some clothes, and try to just figure everything out. But for tonight, lets just relax, okay?" She asked, giving Max a small and reassuring smile.

"This is perfectly fine." Max said, speaking for the first time since they had left home. She tried to give Chloe a small smile, not wanting her to worry so much about how comfortable she was. She would be fine sleeping in Chloe's truck, if that was their only choice.

The two girls stepped out of the rusty old truck, before walking inside of the hotel. Chloe paid for the room, with the small amount of cash she had. The room was cheap, considering it was a small, beat up hotel in the middle of nowhere. Once they had their two hotel keys, the girls headed upstairs to the second floor, finding their room.

Once inside, Max sat on the edge of the bed, taking her shoes off, along with the strap to her camera bag. She sat the bag down next to her, before she took a look around the small hotel room. Usually, she would find something to take a picture of, but right now Max wasn't in a creative mood.

Chloe glanced around the room when she was inside, and then she looked down at Max, who was sitting on the edge of the bed. She couldn't even imagine every moment Max went through. Chloe wished she could've been there every step, but sadly this was Max's fight.

Chloe sat down next to the dark haired girl, slipping an arm around her waist comfortingly. She wanted to help Max, but she wasn't going to push Max to tell her the thoughts that were racing through her head. She felt Max lean her head on her shoulder, and she sighed softly in content.

After a few moments, Chloe heard the girl speak in a very soft and quiet tone. "Chloe?" Max asked, looking out the window of the hotel.

"Yes?" Chloe replied, hoping that Max would open up to her, finally giving her some relief.

"I'm glad you're here. I'm glad I chose to keep you with me. You have been my number one priority since that day in the bathroom and... I'm just glad you're here. But, I wish I knew if they were okay.. I can't stop thinking about them." Max said, feeling her fragile voice begin to crack lightly. She had cried a lot today, and with her not speaking, it was hard for her to get words out.

Chloe thought about this, listening to Max and how she felt. She understood completely, and even though Chloe hated that town, she still cared about Joyce, and she wanted Max to be happy. "We can go back, Max. I'm worried too. But I think we should wait a few days. I don't know what we're going to find if we go back, and I don't want you to see something you-..."

Max interrupted the blue haired girl, shaking her head softly. "But what if some of them can still be saved? What if there's something I can do? I'll never be able to have another tea party with Kate again. I'll never be able to go to the movies with Warren again. I'll never get to eat Joyce's pancakes again... And, I'll never get bitched at by Victoria again. What if I can rewind somehow or... Just something.."

Chloe felt for Max, and Chloe wanted to understand what was going on in her mind. She removed her arm from Max's waist, and she chose her words carefully as she held Max's hand gently.

"Last time you used your powers, the storm happened. We don't know what could happen if you use them again. Look Max, I promise we can go back, but I can't let you put yourself through something like this right now. You're exhausted." Chloe said as she looked into Max's swollen red eyes, hating to see her so upset.

Max just nodded her head, understanding where Chloe was coming from. She couldn't let this happen again. She then looked down at her left hand, before back at Chloe. "No more powers then.." She said quietly, before laying her head back on Chloe's shoulder.

Chloe rubbed Max's hand softly with her thumb, just trying to put her at ease for a few moments. Max was fragile right now, and Chloe didn't want her under any more stress. After a few moments, Chloe stood up and took off her jacket, hanging it up on a hanger that the hotel provided.

"Come on, Max. Let's get some rest." Chloe said as she lifted up the covers of the bed, before crawling underneath them.

Max nodded softly and then joined Chloe, moving her camera so it was sitting next to the bed. She crawled under the covers, before cuddling closely to Chloe. Max was attached to Chloe, and especially now, Chloe's comfort helped her more than anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I hope you guys liked the first chapter of this story. My plans are to progress with the story of Life is Strange, adding new twists and turns, as well as getting deeper into Chloe and Max's relationship romantically. This is my first time writing in a while, so please leave me some feedback!

-Jimberino :)