We Will Foresee Obstacles

Chloe drove them out further away from Arcadia. They had agreed that they would spend a few days away from it, for everything to calm down.

Hours after their thrift store trip, Max and Chloe were still on the road. Neither of them have gotten a single text or call from anyone back in Arcadia.

Max mostly worried about Kate. After the crazy week Kate had, it must be overwhelming for the poor girl. That is, if Kate is even still alive.

Chloe noticed Max was deep into thought, and she glanced over at the girl, becoming worried about her.

"Max, talk to me." Chloe said, trying to help as much as she could.

Max was hesitant to reply, thinking about everything she had been trying to process. "I'm just worried about all of them. Kate mostly. I mean, we haven't heard anything from anyone."

Chloe nodded, then pulling over on the side of the road as she noticed Max beginning to tear up. She unbuckled her seatbelt and moved closer to Max, putting her arm around her comfortingly.

"I'm sorry Max." Chloe said, biting her lip softly as she held the smaller girl in her arms. Once Max was in her arms, she felt Max beginning to break down. Chloe was expecting this, and she was surprised this hadn't happened sooner. All she could do was just try to help Max make it through.

Max clinged onto Chloe's shirt, sobbing quietly into it.  Max needed to let all of these emotions out, and Chloe helped so much. Max was so attached to her now, and after everything they had been through, it just felt natural for them to be so close with each other.

Max wasn't sure if this was because of their childhood past, or if Max just genuinely liked Chloe and Chloe genuinely liked Max. When Chloe dared Max to kiss her in the previous week, Max didn't mind doing it one bit. It felt natural to her.

Neither of them have had time to think about the ways they felt about each other, or really talk about it. Every time one of them would try to bring it up, it would never be the exact right time. And right now, they were both busy dealing with the trauma from the previous days.

Once Max was more calm, Chloe just sat there and stroked Max's hair softly. Chloe didn't really care about driving and getting to a hotel right now, she just wanted to comfort and be there for Max.

Chloe stroked Max's hair until the brown haired girl was asleep, and then she slowly slipped away from Max, moving back to the steering wheel. She the began to drive, going as far as she could to no real destination.

In the evening, Chloe pulled up to another hotel. Max was still asleep, so Chloe leaned over and gently woke the girl, shaking her arm lightly.

"Max, wake up sleepy." Chloe said with a small smile, seeing the girl start to wake up.

Max woke up and yawned, looking at her surroundings. She couldn't believe she had slept that long, but using her powers so much in the past week must have exhausted her. She watched Chloe get out of the truck, and then Max followed after her.

Once they were up in their room, Chloe sighed slightly as she turned on the TV. This hotel was in a less deserted area, so it had some better signal and she was hoping to hear some news about Arcadia. She flipped the channels until she got to the news channel, and then she began to watch as Max sat next to her, sinking into the pillows as she did.

A level 5 tornado hit Arcadia Bay yesterday, destroying the small town. At least 6 people have been found dead, and 25 found injured. Rescue teams are still searching through debris, with more info to come soon. As far as we know, Blackwell Academy has been almost untouched.

Max stared at the TV, feeling her heart sink into her chest. Six people. Six people are dead because of me. I caused this storm. Max could only blame herself right now, and she didn't know what to do. Those six people could've been anybody.

Chloe turned to Max and saw the pain in her eyes. She then turned the TV off, kind of wishing she had never played it at all. Maybe Max wouldn't be so upset if she didn't.

Max pulled her knees up to her chest, beginning to sob into them as she completely lost it this time. She felt Chloe move around her, and she didn't know how to react, or what to say.

"I fucking killed them, Chloe. I killed them. I killed them all." Max said, unable to control her thoughts now. She felt like she couldn't breathe, her whole body beginning to shake.

"No! Max, you didn't know the storm was going to happen. It wasn't your fault." Chloe said, trying to reassure Max.

"I chose to kill then. I sacrificed them. I-..." She said, before Chloe interrupted her.

Chloe grabbed Max's face and made her look up at her, and she chose her words carefully. "Max, you fucking saved me. I wouldn't be here without you. You did what you thought was the best choice, and you can't change that! So stop blaming yourself and just fucking listen to me, okay? You saved me. More than once. You saved Kate. You stopped Jefferson. You did all of this shit for so many people Max! You can't change it now, so please, just calm down and we're going to get through this. Together."

Max listened to Chloe, trying to keep her breathing steady as she did. Chloe was right, and she had to trust her. Max then sinked into Chloes arms, trying to calm down. "I'm sorry Chloe. I just wish I could have saved you both." Max stated, closing her eyes as she listened to Chloe's heartbeat. This calmed her down, and she tried to ignore the negative thoughts that were screaming at her in her head.

Chloe rubbed Max's back comfortingly, the room becoming silent for a while, with only the sound of Max's sobs.

After Max was calming down, Chloe looked at the girl and began wiping her tears away.

Max looked up at Chloe, looking into her eyes as she wiped the tears away. She then spoke quietly, biting her bottom lip softly before she did. "Chloe.. I just want you to know, I don't regret choosing you.." Max said, hoping that Chloe understood that.

Chloe nodded, and then placed a soft kiss on Max's forehead, speaking in a calming voice as she did. "I know, Max."

Chloe knew that her feelings for Max were growing stronger. Yet at the same time, she almost felt guilty because of Rachel.

Chloe, it shouldn't matter anymore. Rachel is dead. She's never coming back. You saw Rachel yourself.

Chloe had to shake that guilt if she wanted her and Max to be anything. She had a feeling that Max wanted them to become something too, eventually.

Chloe decided to put away her thoughts for now, and she returned her attention to Max.

"Get some sleep, Max. We'll leave for Arcadia in two more days." Chloe said, then adjusting them so they were both laying down. Chloe didn't leave Max's side, keeping her arms wrapped around her from behind.

Max allowed Chloe to move them, and she sighed calmly as they layed there. Chloe's warmth comforted her, and it was something that Max needed for so long. Within minutes both of them were out cold, enjoying the comfort of each other.

——————————————————————

Two days later, they left for Arcadia Bay. They left early in the morning, so they would get home at a decent time.

As they got closer and closer to town, Max sat up from her slunken position and observed the world around them. She saw debris everywhere, even though they were still a few miles away from town.

Chloe stopped when they were a little closer, and she looked over at Max. "You're sure you want to see all of this?" She asked, making sure that Max fully knew what she wanted.

Max replied with a silent nod, promising herself that she wouldn't use her powers, no matter what.

Once Chloe was certain of what Max wanted, she began to drive again, pulling up to the destroyed Arcadia Bay.

——————————

So I'm going to try making these chapters a bit longer. I hope you guys have been enjoying this so far! I know its been a little slow, but with time I promise things will start to pick up more. Thank you!

-Jimberino