VIII

"Alright Kiddies, when I say 'Deim' you say 'Carpe'," Craig called throughout the church, a microphone in his left hand, neatly clutched. The dark-haired pastor was almost overjoyed, and that was obvious. This had always been his most favorite thing to do. This was his youth group, which met once a week on Tuesdays. It was convenient for most of the families, too. The program was right after school, and Craig always offered to drive some of the children home. Perhaps it was because he knew how it felt to be the last one to be picked up, perhaps not.

It did not really matter, anyways. What mattered to Craig is that he made these kids have more confidence in themselves, because many of them didn't. That was one of the special things that he cherished about this youth group. More than half of the attendees didn't regularly attend church. A few of them were troubled adolescents, sent to him for guidance. On more than one occasion children with troublesome tendencies were required to go thanks to their court orders and sorts. For those that weren't forced that way, the other majority of them were bulimic, bipolar, had anger issues, depression, etc. Many of their parents resorted to try and get the kids help religiously.

That was what Craig loved so much about his Tuesdays. He felt like he was able to help children like him, and possibly guide them onto a path of success. Something about being able to guide them made this whole Pastor thing bearable. He held it every Tuesday, so far in his career. If it was a holiday, he would still host it.

Pushing those thoughts away, Craig moved the microphone away from him for a split second, glancing over at all of the children that were standing about, most of them eager for this to start. That it would. The Pastor cleared his throat, patting the head of the sensitive device to check clarity, and then he started. His voice echoed through the entire church, the genuine softness of it massaging their eardrums. "Diem."

There was a wave of 'Carpe' throughout the church, basically, none of them knowing at all what they were saying. Nor did any of them know that they were saying the phrase backward. He would correct them since this was just to warm up their throats and tongues. Craig smiled softly, holding the microphone a few seconds away from his face, barely any distance. "Diem! Diem! Diem~" He turned his chant into a melody.

Again, the majority of kids kept to the words, a few laughing though when they attempted to copy his singing, though failing horribly. That was alright to Craig, though. Their hoarse voices would be fixed up in no time. He swept his bangs out of his face, a sneaky glint appearing in his eyes. The corner of his right lip twisted inward, a smug expression turning onto his face. Craig's face gently flushed, holding his breath as he waited for the suspense to brew.

"Carpe~" He sang louder, holding the note for a few beats. The children repeated, half still stuck on that 'C' word. "Ah, I liked that, that sounded good. Just put more emphasis into your voices. I expect all of you to be as famous a singer as J-Lo. She's a singer, right?"

Many of the kids snickered and laughed until their breaths at what Craig said to them, though none of them actually answered his somewhat rhetorical question. That was another thing that Craig found precious. These kids almost felt like his own. These Tuesdays he got to know them, help them, and instruct them. In some ways, he felt like he was a real teacher. Many of the children were so comfortable with him that they would tease him, and he would do the same back. Some would cry to him, some would argue with him.

"Alright, alright. Lady Gaga, is that better? Or wait, Kylie Jenner. Wait, nO." He cleared his throat when he said that, shaking his head. He acted like he was shook or something for saying that, to get an even larger level of giggles and murmurs within the twenty or so kids. Some laughed, while most of the kindergarteners remained oblivious to who Kylie even was. Those lucky children with those innocent, unexposed eyes.