Chapter I: Ten Years Later

Ten years later, Johanna still believed.

She still believed that he'd show up, and rescue her from life. She started to give up hope, but she knew deep down that he was coming for her.

She never told anyone about him, fearing that it was all in her head. No! There was a man there that day, and there was a promise he made. He was going to show up one day, and Johanna was ready.

Until then, Johanna had a job to do. Johanna got a fair paying job at the local library. She loved books, so why not work in a place full of them? She just walked around the library and assisted people and shelved books. It was kind of entertaining. Every now and then she would have a fantasy where the Doctor actually came into the library, but that's all it was. A fantasy.

Today felt special though. Johanna put on her usual sundress, cardigan, and black leggings and headed out. She lived in a nice flat just outside the heart of London. It wasn't too expensive, but it didn't look like a dump. It was perfect.

She took a cab to the library and got out. She stepped into the building and checked in with her boss. The old lady who was her employer smiled and gave her her badge to wear. Everyone who worked here was old and crippled in someway. The boss, Miss Mayflower, is deaf in one ear and everyone else has a disadvantaged sense as well. Johanna was by far the youngest employee, but she enjoyed her job.

The day went by and nothing was special. Just another weird feeling Johanna got, nothing new.

Johanna's shift ended and she bolted out of the library. She was starving. It was nearly six and she hadn't eaten since the little piece of turkey on her lunch break. She ran into a local bakery and grabbed a croissant, which she was craving. She thanked the man at the counter and went on her way.

As she was walking down the street, she saw a familiar face walking on the other side of the road. It was him.

Normally, Johanna would never EVER run. Running is too tiring, therefore she doesn't do it. This, though, was a time for running.

She sprinted across the street and went to him. He walked down an alley way, and she followed. He was walking towards his big, blue box when he stopped walking.

The Doctor must've heard her because he turned around and looked at her. He gave her a curious look. "What are you doing here?" he wondered. "Who are you?"

Johanna smiled. He didn't know who she was, but she didn't care. He was here, and that's all that mattered. "I'm Johanna Penny, and you are the Doctor," she stated with confidence. She then went in and hugged him, another thing Johanna would never EVER do, but this called for it.

The Doctor scooted away from her. "How do you know who I am?" he questioned while straightening his back a bit. "I don't remember meeting you, and I never forget a face."

"That's because you haven't met me yet," she said.

"But how have you met me?" he asked.

Johanna bit her tongue. She didn't want to tell him what he told her not to do, but she just had to. Johanna took in a deep breath. "Ten years ago you came to my doctor's office and told me about the years to come," she explained. She left a lot out, but it's better not to spoil anything in life.

The Doctor smiled. "Then you must be very important for me to visit you a while ago," he stated. He then grabbed her hand and said, "Come with me," in a hushed voice.

Johanna didn't hesitate to follow him. He led her into his blue box. As soon as they stepped inside, Johanna took one look around and nearly flipped.