Chapter II: The First Travel

The TARDIS stopped. They have arrived at their destination: Chicago in 1920. Not exactly where she wanted to go, but it was close enough. Johanna got a little overly excited and ran up to the door. Before she could open it, the Doctor pulled her back.

"Woah, wait a moment," he stopped her. "You can't go waltzing into the classy, roaring 20's looking like that, can you?"

Johanna looked at what she was wearing and sighed. "Does that mean we can't go?" she wondered with disappointment in her voice.

The Doctor kept a serious face as he took her hand and led her back to where he kept all his clothes for the times. Johanna looked around and grinned widely. "Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed. She then frowned. "You probably don't have my size."

The Doctor raised and eyebrow. "How can you be so sure?" he asked. "Look around."

Johanna searched in the section marked "Earth 1920's" and started scavenging. He was right, there are sizes for everyone in every single color. She grabbed the first thing that appealed to her: a black flapper style dress with a black headband and light pink, plastic flower on the side. She looked at the dress on the hanger with disbelief.

"Find what you were looking for?" the Doctor wondered while watching her.

Johanna nodded and looked at him. "What about you?" she asked. "Aren't you going to change?"

The Doctor looked around the closet and pulled a black suit out. "Here we are," he muttered. "A perfect suit fit for the 20's."

Johanna smiled at the Doctor, and he smiled back. She then broke there gaze and looked around. "Where should I change?" she questioned.

"In here," he stated. "I'll go change in the console room. Do you know how to get back?"

Johanna nodded unsurely. "I think so," she responded.

"Great," he said as he took off with the suit.

Johanna pulled the dress off the hanger and got changed into the flapper dress. She admired herself in the mirror as she put the last piece of the puzzle on: the head band. She smiled at herself. This was so surreal, and she knew if she believed hard enough it would have happened. Now she's going to a 1920's party in Chicago.

She walked back to the console room without trouble and saw the Doctor waiting at the door in his suit. "You look good," she complimented him as she came up in front of him.

The Doctor blushed. "Thank you," he said, "as do you." He then held out his arm and she linked her arm with his. He opened the door, and off they went into the 1920's.

Everywhere was beautiful. They seemed to be in the middle of the city. The Doctor heard music and laughter and went straight toward it. Johanna wanted a party, and he wasn't going to disappoint.

The two came to a building. It was tall and white. They entered it and came to a group of people on the bottom floor all dancing to a jazz/swing band play live. Johanna's face lit up like a Christmas tree. "This is wonderful," she sighed.

The Doctor smiled. A job well done, the Doctor thought.

"Go on," he insisted, "you came here for a party. Go and have fun!"

Johanna smiled and took off. Everywhere she looked around. There was people, food, drinks, and music. It was dazzling! She then realized that this wouldn't be possible without the Doctor. Johanna then went back to the Doctor, who was still standing there, and went up to him. "Thank you, so much," she told him.

"It's my pleasure," he said.

She smiled and asked, "Will you come with me?" Motioning her head towards the crowd of people.

The Doctor shook his head. "No, I don't dance," he responded.

"Neither do I," Johanna replied.

"Then why did you want to come here?" he asked.

Johanna shrugged. "Couldn't think of anything else," she said.

The Doctor sighed and took her hand. "Geronimo," he told her with a smirk. He then threw themselves into the centre of the dance. He then decided to have fun. Johanna couldn't help but laugh at him.

"Johanna, I just wanted to say that I think you'll be traveling with me for a long time!" the Doctor shouted over the music. Johanna smiled at the thought. The Doctor then, whilst dancing, reached into his jacket pocket and handed her a little, silver key. "This is the key to the TARDIS, I'd like you to have it. You're going to be a seasoned traveler, my dear. I can't wait to go on so many different adventures with you."

Johanna smiled even wider and took the key. She held onto it and gripped it in her fist for the rest of the night. She was hoping to travel with him for a long while as well.

And they did. They went on so many travels it was uncanny. The two were best friends, and it was undeniable. After Chicago they went to other time periods, other worlds, you name it! They were together for a while and nothing ever bad happened to them, which made the Doctor skeptical. Why was she so perfect? Something is bound to go wrong at some point... but what?