LOVE AND LIES

CHAPTER 9 - RACHEL

Arms hooked, the two women walked down the footpath towards the spot Rachel had parked her car in, just ten or so hours earlier.

"I can stay here if you want me to, you know? I can take time off; I'm not on assignment right now." Rachel's work as a photojournalist allowed her a certain degree of flexibility, one of the big perks she had come to value a lot. She was one of the lucky people who passionately loved their job and everything that came with it: the creativity, the travel, the freedom—the list was endless. She lived the life of a free spirit who might, at any time, stick a camera in your face, which was just the way she liked it.

"I know. Thanks, Rach, but I'm fine. Besides, I might need you down the road, so you better go and win that Pulitzer." She smiled at Rachel with a hint of seriousness as they reached the car.

Rachel opened the door. "I love you, girl."

They hugged each other tightly, just a bit longer than your average good-bye. Julia was the one to break the embrace.

"I love you too." She replied.

"Call me if you need anything. I'll be by to check on you. There's no getting rid of me, you know."

Rachel's attempted to lighten the mood was greatly appreciated, and Julia gratefully played along.

"Yeah, you've always been a pain in the butt."

"Ass, you mean!" Rachel slapped her shapely behind.

"You better get outta here before I whip it!" Julia playfully chased her friend, forcing her to jump into the car and close the door quickly. Through the rolled-up window she mouthed "see ya," and waved as she pulled out. Julia watched the car as it made its way back to the main road, leaving her alone in the parking lot, in a pool of mixed emotions.

***

Still reeling with the events of the last two days, Rachel headed north on Highway 1. Had it really only been forty-eight hours since Julia's face had lit up her cell phone, just moments before she knocked her world off its axis? You work for months, years, sometimes all your life towards a goal, dream, or future. Yet all it took was a second, a sentence, or a single word to turn it all upside down and put your priorities into question.

As she followed the winding road, she couldn't help but think about the first time she had seen Julia. Beautiful and vibrant, with the most captivating smile Rachel had ever seen, Julia had ruled the set of the photo shoot. Not that Rachel could remember what it had been for, perhaps a new perfume or a fall fashion line. It didn't matter anyway; Julia would have been able to sell anything; not because of her looks but because everything about her was genuine.

***

"Hi I'm Julia," with a broad smile she stuck her hand in Rachel's face, completely ignoring the star-struck expression on it. They were about the same age, early twenties at the most, but that was about all they had in common.

Rachel fumbled but managed to shake Julia's hand. "Rachel, nice to meet you." Did she really just say that? 'Nice to meet you'?

"Nice to meet you, too. Especially since this guy here really needs your help, right Charlie?" Julia waved at a tall, long-haired, forty-something man who looked as if he himself had just stepped off the cover of GQ Magazine.

Wow, Julia must have been the only person in the room who got away with calling him that. Charles Garland, the best fashion photographer in Chicago. Rachel still couldn't believe she landed this gig, straight out of college.

"Be nice to her, she knows her stuff!" Julia was still talking to Charles who replied, "I know, that's why I hired her, darling. Welcome aboard Rach!"