NO DENYING

CHAPTER 14 - SUE

Sue had just finished drying her hands on a dish towel when Digger's excited bark on the front porch announced Carter's return. With her portly figure, gray hair, and soft eyes, she was genuine warmth and kindness personified.

"Honey, you won't believe who I met on the beach!" Carter's voice came muffled through the front door. He was still struggling to take off his boots on the porch when Sue opened the door, just to get almost run over by Digger, who headed straight for his food bowl in the kitchen.

"Ally?" Sue guessed as she bent down and grabbed hold of the one boot that was giving Carter trouble. There weren't that many options with less than a handful of residents.

"No. Well, her too, but before that!" He paused for effect, "we have a new neighbor!" Carter announced as he held on to the bench to steady himself while pulling his foot out of the boot. "Her name is Julia, and she's staying at Larry's place." He looked at his wife as if they had just scratched off the last number to a winning lottery combination. He knew how much Sue missed the social interactions they used to have in their old neighborhood; the chats across the fence, the impromptu cups of coffee or the summer barbeques and not to forget the annual block parties. Although they enjoyed the tranquil life away from all the hustle and bustle of the city, they did miss the casual company and familiar faces that had become like family to them during the forty some-odd years in their old house. Until half of their neighbors sold out to a developer who decided to build a new condominium complex and a shopping mall a mere block from their front door, they had never considered living anywhere else.

"Well, you don't say!" Sue's put the boot down and stood up. Her beaming eyes were exactly the reaction Carter expected.

With an 'I'm proud of myself' look on his face, he headed into the house that was filled with the sweet aroma of homemade applesauce and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. "Ahh... The best oatmeal on the West Coast!"

CHAPTER 15 - JULIA

Exhausted and tired of having to talk, to explain, to interact with anyone in any way, Julia was still curled up on the chair. A few stern knocks on the door kicked her into reality and put her right back on edge.

"Everything OK? Hello!" A female voice came through the door.

Having lost track of time and too irritated to think clearly, Julia was sure that this had to be Ally again. "Go away! I told you..." She yelled, as she jumped up and stomped to the door. Ready for battle, she yanked it open and found herself face to fist with Sue, who was just about to knock again. "I didn't need anything else!" Completely disheveled, she hadn't even stopped long enough to check who she was yelling at. All the more baffled she was by the unfamiliar face.

"Oh. Who are you?" Not the smoothest of first encounters, she had to admit.

"I just came over to introduce myself, when you didn't answer I got worried. Sorry for the intrusion." Sue still looked more concerned than hurt by the undeserved attack.

"Don't be! For the hundredth time, I'm fine. Just go away! Leave me alone! That's why I came here. Why can't everyone just leave me alone?! Please," she pleaded, while tears were starting to flow down her cheeks. Her shoulders dropped and whatever fight she had left in her suddenly evaporated.

Sue stepped forward without hesitation and took Julia's deflated frame into her arms. Even though Julia still towered over Sue's much smaller figure, she willingly surrendered to the hug and let her head fall onto Sue's shoulder.

"Oh dear! My Lord! I've got you. Come, let's have a cup o'tea." Without a second thought, Sue held on tightly to Julia's limp body and led her into the house.