JULIA

CHAPTER 13 - JULIA

Julia stepped into the gloomy and gray early morning. Dressed warmly in a long jacket and a scarf, she felt a sense of calmness as she scanned her surroundings. She hadn't taken any of this in with Rachel around. The fog lay like a blanket on the water and only allowed her to see a short distance over the waves that were gently rolling onto the beach. Her cottage was only one in an eclectic collection of beach houses that were snuggled into the dunes, all facing the ocean. The sandy walkways connecting the buildings and the beach wove around bushes of native plants like a spider web.

Julia shivered in the steady breeze from the ocean. She zipped her jacket all the way up and wrapped her scarf tightly around her neck. She took a deep breath, gathered herself, and headed down to the beach.

With her hands buried in her jacket pockets, she walked along the water's edge. Julia couldn't remember ever feeling this acutely aware of her senses. All the sights, sounds, and smells around her seemed strangely magnified, larger than life. Just weeks ago, she probably would have missed the beauty of the driftwood on the beach or the long strings of seaweed that had washed up during high tide. The occasional stranded, lifeless jellyfish she had to step over would most likely have caused her to cringe, and the seagulls that were flying noisily overhead, bickering with each other, might have gone completely unnoticed.

Julia brushed her long hair out of her face and turned towards the ocean. She closed her eyes and focused on the cold breeze brushing over her skin and the sound of the waves crashing into the landmark rocks at the edge of the cove. She liked feeling grounded like this, much more alive than she had in a long time. Still, she couldn't deny a hint of sadness at the irony in this.

Just as she opened her eyes, a flock of brown pelicans glided above the water, without a sound. As if on a silent cue, they took a sudden dive to scoop up fish. She stood and watched them for a few moments, enjoying the luxury of not being in a hurry. Time would take care of itself.

The little dog she had seen the day before was once again walking off leash with its owner down the beach. Full of life and joy, he was chasing after his ball and wagging his behind as forcefully as he could. If his tail had been just an inch longer, he probably would have smacked himself in the face with it. The moment he spotted Julia, he took off towards her, his elderly owner in tow.

"Digger! Get over here buddy!"

Julia looked down as the scruffy looking terrier mix ran up to her, his eyes sparkling with joy. Running through the soft sand on his short legs was tiring but could, in no way, stop this bundle of energy.

"Digger!! Don't even think about it!"

Completely ignoring his owner, Digger promptly jumped up on Julia and bounced on his hind legs like an out of control pogo stick. Julia reached down to pet him. She had grown up with dogs and missed having one around. Tom was allergic to dogs and cats, so a couple of hamsters and a fish tank was all what the kids had been restricted to.

"Hi there, buddy. Having fun?"

Digger's owner, a gray-haired man in his late sixties, finally caught up to them. His rubber boots clearly weren't meant for running through the sand, and his heavy parka didn't help his mobility either.

"So sorry about that. He's just such a friendly fella, loves people and all." He was a bit out of breath as he apologized. He reached for Digger and clipped the leash to his collar.

"That's OK. I don't mind at all."

"He usually listens pretty good... well, usually..." The man was still out of breath and struggling to talk.