| chapter six |

' she dreamed for the day
in which she would see her '

"BUT, IT'S A TRICK!" Exclaimed Clint Barton, also known as the Hawkeye

"BUT, IT'S A TRICK!" Exclaimed Clint Barton, also known as the Hawkeye. The party was now over, and the Avengers sat down in a circle, all discussing Thor's hammer, that stood on the table looking almighty.

"Oh, no. It's much more than that." Thor denied, a broad grin on his face as he held a glass of beer in his hands. 

"Uh, 'Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power!'" He mocked, chuckling at the saying Thor always says about his hammer. "Whatever man! It's a trick." Thor gestured to his hammer, not at all worried for he knew that no one could lift his hammer.

"Well please, be my guest." Clint looked at him in surprise.

"Really?" Thor nodded. Clint grinned, putting his arrows down on the floor before getting up to see if he could lift the Asgardian's hammer.

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful." James Rhodes, also known as the war machine, said.

"Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." Ellie scoffed at Tony's sarcasm but didn't say anything since she knew that she'd upset Steve, who sat next to her. The rest of the group let out chuckles while Clint ignores Tony's comment.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint said, grabbing the handle and trying to lift but, no surprise, he can't lift it. "I still don't know how you do it." He laughs, slightly embarrassed by his loss.

"Smell the silent judgment?" Tony commented.

"Please, Stark, by all means." Clint gestures to the hammer, backing away as he goes to sit back down. Tony stands up, fixing his suit with one hand before walking to the hammer.

"Oh, here we go." Natasha sighed, rolling her eyes at the man's massive ego.

"Okay." Maria Hill pushed a strand of hair back as she downed the rest of her drink.

"Uh-oh." James Rhodes muttered, shaking his head.

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge." Tony walks over to the hammer, eyes scanning it. "It's physics." He said, rolling his eyes before grasping the handle.

"Physics," Bruce said sarcastically, scoffing at Tony's words.

"Right, so, if I lift it, I...I then rule Asgard?" Thor nodded.

"Yes, of course." He said that just seemed to boost Tony's confidence.

"I will be re-instituting Prima Nocta." He said, pulling at the handle but failed at lifting the hammer. "Be right back." Stark then returns with his armoured hand and tries to lift the hammer but, again, fails and soon Rhodes join him, both wearing their armoured hands.

"Are you even pulling?" He asked as they strain their muscles trying to lift the hammer.

"Are you on my team?"

"Just represent! Pull!"

"Alright, let's go!" They both use their extra boost but, to no avail, the hammer did not even move an inch. Next up was Banner, who put his foot on the table, and tried to lift the hammer, roaring as he tried to change into the Hulk, which didn't work. Everyone, but Natasha - who smiled softly - stared at him warily.

"Huh?"

After Banner was Steve, who got up with a boost of confidence, pulling his sleeves up and showing off his muscular arms.

"Come on, Steve." Cheered Ellie along with the rest. Steve pulls on the hammer, which budges just a little and, because of this, alarm covers Thor's face.

"Nothing," Steve said, laughing softly as well as Thor, who laughed in relief.

"Widow?" Bruce asked, gesturing to the hammer but the read head shook her head.

"Oh, no no. That's not a question I need answering." She laughed, taking a sip of her beer. Steve then looked at Ellie and gestured to the hammer. The teenager shurgged and jumped up, grasping the handle, placing her foot on the table before pulling against. A large creek echoed throughout the room, the top of the hammer lifted off the table, shocking everyone.

"Wha?" Tony looked at the girl wide eyes as Thor gulped, eyes as wide as saucers along with everybody else. The strain was too much for the girl, and she let go, shaking her arm. Thor grinned, chuckling in relief. He did not want to leave his position as king.

"One second." She said before placing her hand on the table, her eyes closing. As she concentrated on her powers, the lights in the room began to flicker as one word left her mouth, a word that echoed throughout the room. "Enchantress."

A dark hand, almost like a shadow, appeared from under her. It's fingers intertwined with the blonde's, grabbing onto her before they were flipped and just like that, the Enchantress appeared in front of the Avengers.

"Oh. my. god." The group was in shock but the Enchantress did nothing but lift the hammer with ease, as if she was raising a feather. She walks over to Thor, handing him the hammer with an emotionless face.

"I believe that this yours, iuvenis deus, quo tonitrua incipiunt." Her voice was soft but husky, rough around the edges. Thor took the hammer, his mouth wide open. The enchantress moves to sit between the two blondes, whispering 'Ellie' and just like that, a cheeky Ellie reappears in her spot.

"That was amazing." Maria Hill stated once she was the first one to recover from the shock.

"Thanks." She flashed her a smile and laid on the couch before looking at Thor with a smile that was filled with mischief. "I'm planning on moving in tomorrow, and I'm thinking about holding a big feast in my honour, and I also want to have this big crown." Ellie began listing things on what she wants, bursting into giggles at Thor's face. "I'm only kidding, ruling a planet would be too much." The group continued with their conversations, still discussing Thor's hammer.

"All reference to the man who wouldn't be king, but it's rigged," Tony said as he stood with a god dog champagne in his hands.

"You bet your ass." Commented Clint.

"Steve, he said a bad language word." Ellie giggled at Maria's statement, having heard from Natasha what had happened.

"Did you tell everyone about that?" Steve asked Tony, who ignored him but the small smirk tugging at his lips said that he heard.

"The handle's imprinted, right? Like a security code. "Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints" is, I think, the literal translation?" Ellie raised an eyebrow at Tony's stupidity as she just literally lifted the hammer up. Well, enchantress but she's technically enchantress, so it's the same thing.

"Yes, well that's, uh, that's a very, very interesting theory. I have a simpler one." Thor gets off the couch, reaching for his hammer before flipping it. "You're all not worthy."

"Except me." Ellie quipped, a cheeky glint in her eyes as the grinned on her face matched the one of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Thor chuckled and ruffled her hair, already taking a liking to the blonde.

"Yeah, except you."

***

iuvenis deus, quo tonitrua incipiunt = the young god of thunder (Latin)