o n e

"Have you copied up the minutes from yesterday's meeting?"

Natalya sighed at her father's persistent checking up on her. "Yes, papa. They're all written up."

"Good. Remember, we have a meeting with the Peaky Blinders tomorrow." He let out a groan. "Thomas Shelby won't give up trying to get me to sell him the factory."

"If you aren't going to sell it, why are we going?" Talya asked as she straightened some paper. Her father had a long-standing feud with the Peaky Blinders; they had been squabbling over business since he moved to England in 1906 from Russia. Both the businesses were small at the time, and both took a break for the war, and they both seemed to be increasing at a similar pace - which only lead to more tension and competition between the two groups.

"To show them we aren't as soft as all the other businesses they've bought out around Birmingham. We aren't like the English, Natasha. We're Russians. And we won't roll over for those gypsies."

Natalya nodded at her father's impassioned claim. "I see."

Mikhail strolled over to her desk and kissed her on top of the head. "I love you, Tasha. You keep me sane."

She smiled as he called her by his nickname for her. "You too, papa. Shouldn't you be in Greet at the moment? I thought I saw it in your schedule. A meeting, was it?"

"Oh, yes! Of course!" He grabbed his pack of cigarettes and left the office, looking ever so grand in his expensive suit. She heard him cry in delight as he made his way through the offices. "Anechka! Your cousin is at her desk."

Right on que, Natalya's cousin Anechka sauntered into the room, looking as glamorous as ever as her straight, jet-black hair floating behind her. "Talya!"

"Hello, Annie. Have a seat." She motioned to the chair opposite her desk with a wave of her pen.

"Don't you look the part, eh?" Anechka commented as she motioned to Talya's desk, which sat within her father's office. "Proper little secretary now."

"I know. I'm about to take my break, shall we go to the cafe?"
                      ——
As soon as Talya sat down with her cup of tea, Anechka erupted with the information she had clearly been dying to spill. "There's a party tonight in Greet. You know, one of those underground ones. It's under the bakery. It's all very hush-hush. You and me go; what do you say?"

Talya sighed. "Annie, I'm too busy-"

"Tomorrow is your day off, no?"

"Well, yes but-"

Anechka let out an exasperated hough and leant forward, her teaspoon waving animatedly in her hand. "Oh come on, Talya! Live a little. I won't let your brother find out, I promise."

Natalya seemed to relax at the prospect of her brother Alexei not finding out. He was overbearing at the best of times, nevermind when it came to Talya and going out drinking. Anechka often aired her disgust at Alexei's control, but he always told her to fuck off in Russian. The two of them would then argue until one of their parents split it up. You wouldn't think they were both 23 if you saw the way they constantly bickered with each other. But still, Talya wasn't convinced. She wasn't one for parties, much less socialising with people she didn't know. She simply didn't have the patience for it. However something in her cousin's face told her she wouldn't give up. "Well... maybe I will."

"Of course you will! I'll have you back before two, I promise. Just please come, Tasha!"

After a short silence, Talya smiled a wry smile. "Alright! I'll go."
                    ——
As soon as the cousins arrived in the grotty, underground party, Natalya was regretting her decision to come. She felt completely out of her comfort zone, and she knew for a fine fact her parents would ground her for her life if they knew she was there.