t h r e e

For the next few days, Talya forgot all about the gypsy boy who had aggravated her so much. She pushed him completely out of her mind and focused on her workload.

But the tension between their families seemed to be doing the complete opposite of being forgotten. More and more Blinders were being spotted around Ivanov territory and there had very nearly been a shootout between some of Tommy's men and Mikhail's. The only reason there hadn't been was because the coppers showed up and the gangsters scarpered.

Talya and Anechka were under strict orders not to go near Small Heath, which was still very much crawling with Blinders even if Tommy had moved away. It was like an infestation, and Talya personally felt that she would sooner die than have Blinders invade Digbeth if the brewing war ever went in Tommy's favour.

Inevitably, Friday rolled around and thus began Anechka's weekly attempt to get Natalya out. Usually she was met with a heavy resistance, but for once Talya was glad to be asked. She was so tense and stressed from all the work she had done throughout the week and her argument with Michael that she couldn't think of anything better than blowing off some steam in a crowd full of people who didn't know her family.

While the cousins were getting ready, Talya put down her face powder and frowned. "Annie, we aren't going to the same club as last time are we?"

"No, Tasha. As I've already explained, the whole thing with these clubs is they're pop-up. They appear in different venues. Otherwise they wouldn't be pop up, would they?"

"I suppose not. So the peaky blinders won't own the place we're going to this time?"

Anechka let out an exasperated sigh. "No! Honestly, Natasha, they're all you seem to go on about this last week! 'The Peakys did this, the Peakys did that'." Upon noticing Natalya's unimpressed expression over being mocked, Annie softened her tone. "Besides, this club is in Digbeth. I can't see any Blinders making an appearance without a good reason."

"Good." Talya said with a satisfied smile before returning to making herself look party-ready.
                     ——
As soon as the cousins arrived, they were escorted to the VIP area. It seemed that the organisers of the event knew this party was in Ivanov territory, so were sweetening up the family in case there was ever any trouble. Talya had to admit that at times like this, she was glad of the fearsome reputation her family upheld.

The girls drank for a while before Anechka cleared her throat and made Talya lower her drink, a gravely serious expression on her face. "I have a confession to make."

Talya sighed. "Go on."

"I invited Isaiah."

"You did fucking what?" Talya hissed as she leant forward, disbelief etched onto her delicate features.

"I invited-"

"I heard what you said, stupid. What are you thinking? He's a Blinder, Annie! This is just asking for trouble."

Anechka rolled her eyes and shook her head light-heartedly. "Honestly, Tasha, lighten up. I'm hardly eloping with him, he's just a bit of fun. You needn't worry your little business head about us two."

"Yeah, okay." Talya said with a scoff.

As if on cue, Isaiah swaggered into the VIP area and over to their table, confidence emitting from his stylishly dressed frame. "Hello, ladies."

He kissed Anechka's hand and went to kiss Talya's, but she snatched her wrist back. "Not likely. Excuse me." With a massively passive aggressive sigh, she shoved past Isaiah and stormed over to the bar, her high heels stomping into the cement floor with such a force it was a wonder the ground didn't crack.