e i g h t e e n

After Percy's threat and the party at Thomas', Michael and Talya both decided not to think anything of him. They both thought he was harmless and virtually forgot about it. Until a few weeks later when they were all in The Garrison for a few drinks.

Talya was singing with Ada and Polly while the men all watched them in amusement. They were all having a great time and were well on their way for a memorable night. They had all gathered at the Shelby's old haunt to celebrate the anniversary of Arthur's ownership of it, though Ada told Talya it wasn't acquired in the best of ways. Apparently, they had given the former owner, Harry Fenton, an ultimatum that basically said give them the pub or they will give him a bullet through the skull.

After their song was over and they were given a hearty applaud, Talya left the snug and went to get a drink. The bartender was more than happy to give her a complimentary gin and tonic, though Talya still slid double the cost in change across the counter and told him to keep it. The man looked a nervous wreck and Talya thought that a few quid wouldn't go amiss after all the free drinks he had been giving the Blinders and Talya.

"What's your name?" She asked, sitting down and sipping her drink as she did so.

"It's Phil."

Talya nodded. "Where are you from, Phil?" His eyes flickered nervously, and she realised he thought he was being interrogated. "Relax, love. I'm just bored and after a chat."

"Greet."

"I'm from Greet, myself," Talya said with a smile. "You still live there?"

"Yeah, I do. Please don't tell Mr Shelby I'm from Greet. They don't know. They'll think I'm with the Ivanovs."

"Are you?" Talya said in a cold voice as she glared at him. The look of pure fear on his face made her realise her joke had been in bad taste. "Calm down! Christ, you look petrified. I'm only messing."

He let out a shaky laugh, but she knew he was anything but reassured.

"Have you heard anything more about them?"

"Who?"

It was becoming more apparent this man wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. "The Ivano- Oh, just forget it, mate. Thanks for the drink."

As she dropped from the stool and made her way back to the Snug, the sound of someone whistling caught her attention. A young lad, sat on his own, was staring right at Talya. He beckoned her over with a wave of his hand. She decided it wouldn't hurt to see what he wanted. "Can I help you?"

"Are you asking about the Ivanovs?"

"Maybe."

He rolled his eyes. "I just heard you, love. I have something to tell you if you make it worth my while."

Talya was nonplussed as he expectantly stared at her before realising he was after payment. With a sigh, she slid her hand into her purse and produced £2. "That enough?"

The lad seemed more than impressed with his payment and nodded fervently. "Yeah. Perfect."

"If I find out you're lying I'll have you beaten," Talya muttered as she took a seat beside him, though she wasn't being serious. "Come on then. What have you got to say?"

"The Ivanovs and the Sparky Lads have teamed up. Both of them want to overthrow the Blinders and they're doing it through force. I've heard they plan on making war - sooner rather than later."

Talya blinked at him. She had suspected that, but now she was actually hearing it out loud her blood ran cold. "And you're not messing with me? Because that's a hell of an accusation."