t w o

Talya had to blink twice to make sure her mind wasn't tricking her. But no, it was him. He seemed to be as uncomfortable as she was, based on the strained expression on his face as he passed a piece of paper to Mikhail, his eyes not leaving her own for a moment. It seemed that he hadn't taken his gaze off her since she had walked into the room, and it hadn't gone unnoticed judging by Alexei's frantic glancing between his sister and the accountant.

"Do you think I am a stupid man, Mr Shelby?"

Her gaze switched from Michael to her father when she heard his question. She was shocked. Her father was a peaceful man who rarely showed any aggression, much less in a business meeting. But right now, her father looked furious. He was still sat down, but his chest was puffed out in anger and his eyes were dark.

"I'd think you stupid to not take the deal-"

Mikhail flew from his seat and slammed his fist against the table. "Bullshit! Talya, Alexei, get up. We're leaving."

In an instant, Talya had risen to her feet and was packing up her stuff. Her father didn't even wait for her, he and Alexei just stormed straight to the car. Soon she was hurrying out of the room without a glance at Michael, desperate to get away from him and this house.

Just as she rounded the corridor that headed to the door, she heard running footsteps coming after her and soon after Michael's voice called her name.

With a sigh, Natalya stopped and turned around. "What do you want?" she hissed.

As he reached her, he didn't seem quite sure of what to say. "Uh, well, I-"

"Well?" She demanded. Talya was very aware that her brother had noticed her recognition of Michael, and that if she didn't emerge in the next minute or so he would surely suspect something.

"Meet me tonight."

"No! You're a Shelby-"

"I'm a Gray."

"You are basically a Shelby, Michael! Our families hate each other." She hissed.

He gritted his teeth and grabbed her wrist. "I'll be in the pub that was opposite the club we met at. Nine o clock. I'll wait for two hours."

With that, he released her and stormed off back down the corridor he had just sprinted down. Talya let out an exhale and hurried out of the door too.
——
As soon as she was in the car, her brother was eyeing her suspiciously. "You knew him?"

"Who?" She asked as nonchalantly as she could manage.

Alexei scoffed. "The accountant! He didn't take his eyes off of you the entire time we were in there. How did you know one of the Peaky Blinders?"

"He was only looking at her because she's so beautiful! Honestly, Alexei, you needn't attack her for every man that looks in her direction." Their father interjected merrily. "I apologise for my behaviour, children. But I won't be insulted in front of my family by a diddicoy thief who has gotten too confident in himself."