Play

CAST
DORTHY played by ERICA
AUNT EM played by MIA
UNCLE HENRY played by MIO
MS GULCH played by VAPOR
TOTO played by A RANDOM POOCHYENA ERICA FOUND AND TRAINED
PROFESSOR MARVEL played by JOLT
————————————————————————
Sylvia: *addresses whoever reads this* Thank you all for coming. Now, here we represent to you, the Wizard of Oz!
Niko: *brings down sign that reads "Wizard of Oz"*
Ella: *opens curtains*
Niko: *raises up sign*
Erica: *running across the stage* She isn't coming yet, Toto. Did she hurt you? She tried to, didn't she? Come on - we'll go tell Uncle Henry and Auntie Em. Come on, Toto. Aunt Em! Aunt Em! Aunt Em!
Mia: Fifty-seven, fifty-eight --
Erica: Just listen to what Miss Gulch did to Toto! She --
Mia: Dorothy, please! We're trying to count! Fifty-eight--
Erica: Oh, but Aunt Em, she hit him over the --
Mio: Don't bother us now, honey -- this old incubator's gone bad, and we're likely to lose a lot of our chicks.
Erica: Oh -- oh, the poor little things. Oh, but Aunt Em, Miss Gulch hit Toto right over the back with a rake just because she says he gets in her garden and chases her nasty old cat every day.
Mia: Seventy -- Dorothy, please!
Oh, but he doesn't do it every day —just once or twice a week. And he can't catch her old cat, anyway. And now she says she's gonna get the sheriff, and --
Mia: Dorothy! Dorothy! We're busy!
Mia & Mio: *takes "chicks" out of incubator*
Mio: Poor little orphan, and her Miss Gulch troubles. Gosh all hemlock - you know, she ought to have somebody to play with.
Mia: I know, but we all got to work out our own problems, Henry.
Mio: Yes
Mia: Oh, I hope we got them in time.
Mio: Yes
Ella: *closes curtains for next scene*
Sylvia: Okay, Liam and Streak please come to the set!
Liam & Streak: *walk on stage*
Sylvia: We're going to need you for this next scene because your parts aren't coming until later.
Liam & Streak: Okay.
Unrcal: *drags wagon into stage*
Liam & Streak: *walk on stage*
Ella: *opens curtains*
Both: *pretend to repair wagon*
Liam: How's she coming?
Streak: Ow! You got my finger!
Liam: Well, why don't you get your finger out of the way!
Streak: Come on - come on - over this way.
Liam: Okay.
Streak: There you are.
Liam: Right on my finger!
Streak: It's a lucky thing it wasn't your head.
Erica: Zeke, what am I going to do about Miss Gulch? Just because Toto chases her old cat --
Liam: Listen, honey, I got them hogs to get in.
Streak: Now lookit, Dorothy, you ain't using your head about Miss Gulch. Think you didn't have any brains at all.
Erica: I have so got brains.
Streak: Well, why don't you use them? When you come home, don't go by Miss Gulch's place. Then Toto won't get in her garden, and you won't get in no trouble. See?
Erica: Oh, Hunk, you just won't listen, that's all.
Streak: Well, your head ain't made of straw, you know.
Liam: Oh! Oh, it feels like my joints are rusted. Listen, Dorothy, don't let Hunk kid you about Miss Gulch. She's just a poor sour-faced old maid that -- she ain't got no heart left. You know, you should have a little more heart yourself, and have pity on her.
Erica: Well, gee, I try and have a heart.
Liam: Now look, here's something that really has a heart. This is the best invention I ever invented.
Erica: This?
Liam: Sure. It's to break up winds, so we don't have no more dust storms. Can you imagine what it'll mean to this section of the country? I'll show you. It works perfectly now. Here's the principle. You see that fan -- that sends up air currents into the sky. These air currents -- Oh, stop it!
Erica: Oh!
Liam: Who did it? Now wait a minute.
Erica: Hickory!
Liam: Now what happened? I'll bet Hunk did that.
Streak: Say! Get in there before I make a dime bank out of you! Listen, kid, are you going to let that old Gulch heifer try and buffalo you? *fills trough* She ain't nothing to be afraid of. Have a little courage, that's all.
Erica: *walking the pig pen's railing* I'm not afraid of her.
Streak: Then the next time she squawks, walk right up to her and spit in her eye. That's what I'd do!
Erica: *loses balance and falls into pig pen* Oh!
Sylvia: SCENE! Get ready for the next one
After a few minutes
Sylvia: GO!
Erica: Oh! Oh, Zeke! Help! Help me, Zeke! Get me out of here! Help!
Streak: Are you all right, Dorothy?
Erica: Yes, I'm all right.   Oh -- I fell in and -- and Zeke --
Streak: *helps her out of pig pen*
Erica: Why, Zeke, -- you're just as scared as I am!
Streak: What's the matter -- gonna let a little old pig make a coward out of you?
Erica: Look at you, Zeke -- you're just as white --
Mia: Here, here, what's all this jabber- wapping when there's work to be done? I know three shiftless farm hands that'll be out of a job before they know it!
Streak: Well, Dorothy was walking along the --
Mia: I saw you tinkering with that contraption, Hickory. Now, you and Hunk get back to that wagon!
Streak: All right, Mrs. Gale. But some day they're going to erect a statue to me in this town, and --
Mia: Well, don't start posing for it now. Here, here -- can't work on an empty stomach. Have some crullers.
Streak: Gosh Mrs. Gale.
Mia: Just fried
Streak: Thanks
Liam: Swell
Streak: You see, Dorothy toppled in with the big Duroc...
Mia: It's no place for Dorothy about a pig sty! Now you go feed those hogs before they worry themselves into anemia!
Streak: Yes ma'am
Erica: Auntie Em, really -- you know what Miss Gulch said she was gonna do to Toto? She said she was gonna --
Mia: Now, Dorothy, dear, stop imagining things. You always get yourself into a fret over nothing.
Erica: No --
Mia: Now, you just help us out today, and find yourself a place where you won't get into any trouble.
Erica: Some place where there isn't any trouble. *exits stage*
Sylvia: CHANGE OF SCENERY!
Ella: *closes curtains*
Unrcal & Niko: *change background boards*
Unrcal: *gets different scenes ready*
Everyone in the scene: *walks in*
Ella: *opens curtains*
Erica: Do you suppose there is such a place, Toto? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away -- behind the moon -- beyond the rain -- *sings* Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby. Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue, And the dreams that you dare to dream really do ...come true...Someday I'll wish upon a star And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Vapor: Mr. Gale!
Mio: Howdy, Miss Gulch.
Vapor: I want to see you and your wife right away....
Mia: *come to the gate*
Vapor: ... about Dorothy.
Mio: Dorothy? Well, what has Dorothy done?
Vapor: What's she done? I'm all but lame from the bite on my leg!
Mio: You mean she bit you?
Vapor: No, her dog!
Mio: Oh, she bit her dog, eh?
Vapor: NO!
Sylvia: CHANGE SCENERY!
Ella: *closes curtains*
Everyone: *helps change scenes*
Ella: *opens curtains*
Erica: *comes on stage with Toto in arms*
Vapor: *holds up basket and order*
Erica: *screams at Vapor*
Vapor: *tries to take Toto away*
Mio: *takes Toto and puts him in basket*
Vapor: That dog's a menace to the community. I'm taking him to the sheriff and make sure he's destroyed.
Erica: Destroyed? Toto? Oh, you can't! You mustn't! Auntie Em! Uncle Henry! You won't let her, will you?
Mio: Of course we won't. Will we, Em?
Erica: Please, Aunt Em, Toto didn't mean to. He didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I'm the one that ought to be punished. I let him go in her garden. You can send me to bed without supper --
Vapor: If you don't hand over that dog, I'll bring a damage suit that'll take your whole farm! There's a law protecting folks against dogs that bite!
Mia: How would it be if she keeps him tied up? He's really gentle -- with gentle people, that is.
Vapor: Well, that's for the Sheriff to decide. Here's his order allowing me to take him. Unless you want to go against the law.
Mio: Uhh -- yeah --
Mia: Now, we can't go against the law, Dorothy. I'm afraid poor Toto will have to go.
Vapor: Now you're seeing reason
Erica: No --
Vapor: Here's what I'm taking him in -- so he can't attack me again
Erica: Oh, no, no! I won't let you take him! You go away, you....! Oooh, I'll bite you myself!
Mia: Dorothy!
Erica: You wicked old witch! Uncle Henry, Auntie Em, don't let 'em take Toto! Don't let her take him -- please!
Vapor: Here! I've got an order! Let me have...
Erica: Stop her!
Mia: Put him in the basket, Henry.
Vapor: The idea!
Erica: Oh, don't, Uncle Henry. Oh, Toto! Don't...
Mia: Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean you have the power to run the rest of us! For twenty-three years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now -- well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!
Ella: *closes curtains*
Sylvia: Please allow our actors to take a small 5 minute break and for us to prepare for our next scene. Thank you.