Chapter 6

The night came relatively quickly. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to go to this party, but I guess I should get out. And this is my first night anyway. I want to meet new people. Back home I wasn't much of a social light, but back then I didn't really care. I mean it's easy to for me talk to people, but parties have not really been my scene. There are so many variables, like music. It's so loud that you have to yell to hear the other person. Drinking, people say things they don't mean when under the influence. And dancing, enough said. I can't dance to save my life. But as soon as Cyra asked me to come, I couldn't refuse. 

As I looked through my limited amount of clothes I packed, nothing seemed to measure up. This is the first party of the year. This will set the tone for how people will remember me. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I can't just throw anything on. I was contemplating on whether I should wear some overalls and a yellow crop, or a body-con dress. After all the back and forth I finally settled on the body-con dress. 

Cyra was doing her hair and listening to music. She has a distant kind of feeling when she dances. It's like she doesn't care who sees her because she's in her own little world. I want to know what that's like. She also put on a minimal amount of makeup and some clear lip gloss. Meanwhile I was debating whether I should change in the room or the bathroom. I'm self conscious of how I look, and I don't want Cyra to judge. I mean to me she looks perfect, and I don't want her to think me unattractive. Even if she will probably never find me attractive in that way. 

I change my clothes in the room. Cyra looks at me for a brief second and laughs. I say. "What are you laughing at?" Half jokingly, half self consciously. "You. You're so stiff and uncomfortable." I could feel my face reddening. "We're going to be together for a year, loosen up a little." I look at her. "How can you be so comfortable about being in a room with a complete stranger." She stares at me in all seriousness. "Because I'm hoping that we'll be more than that. I mean even if we aren't friends, at least we can be acquaintances, right?"  

"Okay so then what are we now?" I ask. 

"Why label things? Were just here right now co existing in this room. We're a little way from being strangers, but we still have a long ways to go before we're friends." 

"So let me get to know you." I say as I sit on the bed.

"That takes some time and we don't have much time for that if we want to get to this party." 

I sigh reluctantly and say, "Okay, but let me get my lipstick out the bathroom first." 

She nods. "I'll wait for you outside then." 

I go into the bathroom and see a clutter of hair products, clothes, and perfumes. She's already made herself at home while I'm still trying to unpack one box. I reach for my red lipstick across the counter and a pill bottle falls to the floor. I went pick up the scattered pills, until the label on the bottle caught my eye. In thick black print, Cyra's full name was printed on it, and the date the prescription was filled. But what really caught my eye was the word "Estrogen" written right under the the date. I heard the door open and saw Cyra's head peaking in through the door crack. I quickly stowed away the bottle.  

"Are you coming, or am I going to have to drag you out?" 

"I'm coming, hold up a second." 

I put the bottle back on the counter, and cleaned up the pills. I'm not going to press the matter. Not tonight.