A New Beginning

"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."
-Lois Lowry, The Giver

Jumi's Point of View

-Present August 2017

    I woke up. Breathing faster than ever. Wishing that all of this was just a capitalizes dream, but it felt as if I was actually outside. My body was cold and it seems so vivid like a memory of a sort. I look at the electric clock. Realizing once again I beat my alarm clock. It's 5:50 a.m. Originally, I was supposed to wake up at 6 a.m...There goes my day starting off tired, yet again. So, I begin my day by getting off of the bed and getting ready for work, I shower and making sure that I do a proper makeup with a little foundation and concealer to make me look alive and making sure I cover those bags. Even though some of my co-workers say I look refreshed, I just feel like I am mentally exhausted. Maybe, deep down I just love sleep and not being a morning person. All I want to do is sleep. Sleep is life.

    I then change out of my pajamas and into my powder blue turtleneck dress with black leggings, long white coat and lastly black red bottom shoes. I make sure to tie my medium- long wavy hair in a cute messy bun and lastly want to make sure to moisture those lips with Carmax and add nude. Noone wants to see some dry and chapped lips. I make sure to wear my olive gold greek- inspiration headband on and grab my purse and my keys as I exit my apartment. Luckily, I am not far from the company and It takes about 10 minutes walk to get to the company. Before I enter the building there is a coffee place next door to work and I always order the same thing like every morning. A Double Chocolate chip mocha ice coffee with whipped cream and chocolate syrup on top. I am usually not a coffee person, but sweets do indeed keep me up and energies so this will help my mornings.

   6 months ago In August, I move from Los Angeles, California, USA to Seoul, South Korea for this job opportunity and this was, in fact, a huge one since this is my first time being all on my own. My parents and my younger brother do support my dreams, even if it means I may get to see them at least twice a year, which is holidays only, such as Christmas and New Year's Eve. I usually call them when I can to see how they are doing. The conversations end up short due to their busy schedule. The main reason I took that job was that not only I love doing textile print. It was only to not feel completely alone at home. Even though I know that my parents love me, they were not too involved in my life after I enter high school. I rarely see them and the only person that took care of me really was my nana and I was mostly friends with my younger brother Nick. I personally see nana  more of a parent than my own parents. As I enter college, our family dynamics have changed, after Nana pass away from stage three throat cancer. She never drinks, never smokes and always been a healthy and huge believer in being active, exercising and living life to the fullness. Her last words to me on her deathbed at the hospital still haunts me to this day and that's why my parents and I relationship was never the same.

Her words were," Your parents must tell you who you truly are and you need to find him. He's been looking for you for centuries... my child. I just want you to reunite..." She never finished telling me her last words as she gasps her last air to breath I see that her life eyes turn into dull and emptiness and her last tears falling down through her once warm cheek to her chin. I was so confused and sad with her last words I didn't know what she means. I try to comprehend her last words over and over again too. My two main questions where one what was my parents hiding from me and two who is him?

Eventually, after her funeral on a gloomy Sunday, I went Up to her room and just lay down in her bed and just wonder her last words to me. I became mute for the last 10 days after Nana's death, my parents started to took their time to take care of me, I barely ate anything. I only drank water because I get easily dehydrated. I didn't even go back to my room and just felt most lost since the one person in the world understand me is gone. I look for clues in her room too see if she has something that can relate to her last words to me. I went into her closet. Nothing. I even check her nightstand next to her bed. It was the daily journal of her meals and pill each day with time and side note of her daily errands. Then, I came across a letter that is placed on the end of her book. I proceed to open the letter. As I read briefly through the letter that was supposed for me to read after she passed. It stated that not only Nana was ill for three years and didn't tell anyone, but I was adopted and my parents protested to never tell me ever. After finding out about this letter I told my brother immediately, he knew something was up and confess that it was one point nana and our parents was fighting and he was hiding behind the door and the argument was about me being adopted, but wanted to never tell me and plan to have an arrangement marriage with one of my father's business associates son. Nick was mad and feels that what our parents doing was wrong and wanted to do this arrangement marriage on me because my father wants to merge companies. He wanted to tell father odd but I stop him and don't want him to get anymore trouble by father.