four

THE NEON blue sky had faded to a balmy, pinkish dawn by the time Jungkook walked out of the infirmary, his death sentenced above his head.

His heart pounded furiously against his ribcage. The loud, rapid thumps were making his legs wobble, his hands shake, his head in a state of vertigo.

"You'll walk the plank at twilight. That's when the sharks are most active."

Jungkook couldn't understand why the red-haired pirate didn't sound the slightest enthusiastic. Wasn't this what he wanted? For him to die?

He lifted his sorrowful eyes towards the pirate, to see him frowning right back at him.

Tension embraced itself into the climate surrounding them, while the crested waves of the ocean glissaded in a rotating tune.

Jungkook felt even more afflicted.

"Why?" The red-haired pirate breathed. That one word came from an unreadable tone, so strong and fierce, yet gentle and demanding.

Jungkook's coppery eyelashes fluttered down, and then back up.

"I won't shame my body," he whispered. The corner of his eyes glistened. "My mama would be disappointed in me."

Taehyung casted a tedious look at him. From his misty eyes, to his lustrous skin, to his little chin mole. His eyes were hooded, indefinable.

"There's another way," he said quietly, almost softly. "You don't have to die."

Jungkook couldn't help the tone of suspicion in his voice. "What made you suddenly change your mind?"

The pirate leaned against the metal railings of the lower deck they were on. They were in some sort of bay, where countless supplies littered around. Jungkook could easily pick out bags of grain, tanks of water and rolls of fabric.

"I never wanted you to die." The young pirate stared at the silkiness of the water beyond. The surface was darkening as the sunlight was dimming.

He noticed the dubiety crossing Jungkook's face and exhaled."I never really mean what I say. I just like scaring kids."

"How sweet."

Taehyung shot him a cold, stressed look. "You're about to die. Act like you're about to die."

"Can't you just send me back home?" Jungkook mumbled meekly. Hope lingered in his wide doe eyes.

"No, I can't, " Taehyung snapped. "I'm the third-in-command, not the captain. I can't bail you out." His face crumpled back in utmost frustration.

He couldn't understand why his heart was heavy with dread. He couldn't understand why he didn't want to see this boy die. He was used to this, deaths and executions. So why was there an uproar in his heart?

Was it because of how innocent the boy seemed? How fragile? How vulnerable?

Taehyung yanked his strands of red hair violently. Hadn't he dismissed all his feelings ages ago? Why had his heart come back to life? He didn't want to feel. He didn't want to.

"The ocean's beautiful."

The boy sounded so sad, so hopeless. Taehyung stared at him, at his eyes which where shimmering with glacial tears.

"The sky's beautiful, " Jungkook hiccuped. Broken. He was broken.

Taehyung couldn't help but thought, how alluring the boy looked like that, in the sombre sunlight, with his tears glittering like precious jewels.

//////

My apologies for the short chapter 🙏

But it's gonna get more interesting the next chap :)

Stay tuned my sweet, unpeeled, butter roasted potatoes

(yes i just called u guys that)