twenty-seven

FEAR WRAPPED around Jimin tightly, encasing his limbs into stone. From his cabin, he could hear it, the noise of despair that was spreading out through the entire ship. He could hear the screams, pained and terrified. He could hear the moans and the groans, never fading and always on repeat in his mind, and the harsh scrape of a herd of shoes against wood as they ran.

He tried to calm himself down, but failed miserably. His entire body was trembling as if someone had poured icy water over him . He knew he had to get out, but he couldn't. His terrorized feet refused to move an inch, and all his hands agreed to do was cover his chalk-white face.

But then the warning bell rang, and he knew he had to get the hell out.

Jimin grabbed a dagger which he kept in his drawer for emergencies. It was tiny, hardly the size of his palm but he considered it better than nothing. The tip of the blade was keen and pointed, which gave him a brief sense of comfort.

Inhaling as much air as he could, as if the additional oxygen would calm the pounding of his heart, he slid the door open.

And came face to face with a freshly turned zombie.

An alarmed cry escaped his lips. The zombie pounced onto him, but he managed to roll out of the way, and somehow his shaky hand plunged the dagger right through the zombie's head.

Dark blood oozed out like a polluted waterfall, but it wasn't actually the cause that made Jimin's stomach tighten up.

It was by looking at the familiar face of an once-upon-a-time Bambam.

"I-I'm sorry," he said in a choked voice, staggering backwards just as the body hit the floor with a soft thud. Bile crept up his throat, as he turned on his heel and ran forwards. He didn't look back.

+

It was bizarre, to see what a mere second could bring, what a change it could become.

Seeing the state of the Bronze Anchor falling right before his eyes made him feel sick. Jimin tried to swallow down the lump in his throat, wishing he could swallow the image out of his head too.

But the image already seemed to be imprinted behind his eyelids, like a snapped picture saving into a memory. He shut his eyes tight to welcome the darkness, but could still see the dead bodies sprawled across the decks, with their chewed skin and shredded limbs. Could still make out of the red of blood pooling around them, the intestines which had been scraped out of their bodies.

He steadied his legs as he began to follow the trail of footsteps. But then he heard someone approaching him
from behind.

Jimin took a deep, deep breath, mentally preparing himself before he spun around. Raising his dagger into a better stance, he almost sent the blade flying right through—Jungkook's head?