chapter 3: train harder

Step, slash, dodge, strike, side-step, cut, parry, stab, duck. Rinse and repeat. Over and over again. I picked up the pace and made it harder for myself by flash stepping around. The fancy footwork would be the key to keeping balance. Frustration. I kept on messing up.

That frustration fueled me to move faster, to correct my mistakes. it felt like I was fighting myself. Some maneuvers I completed perfectly, others I butchered. My body complained as I pushed myself to the limit, improving. From all the movement, whatever soreness was in my limbs was worked out. A cut on my back from previous fighting opened up, tingling as it began to bleed from over exertion.

Step, left swipe, right upward arc, shunpo, step, right swipe, left arc, shunpo, repeat. I could feel the sweat flooring from my skin. It dripped of the tip of my nose, soaked into my hair turning it to a glossy red mud color.

Stab, slash, parry, dodge, shunpo, block. Stepping in to a dance. Kicking up dust. Stabbing again. The salt in my sweat burned the wounds on my body, which begged me to rest for a little. But no, I moved faster and pushed myself harder. The dirt I kicked up stuck to my skin. Slash downward, flip blade, cut up swiftly in an arc, flip blade to other hand, repeat. I fought imaginary opponents, venting out my frustration at my failed attempts when I messed up. I sliced away my emotions, my questions, any pain I felt was cut away.

Instinct. I closed my brown eyes to keep the dust from getting in them and poured my spirit energy into my hands. Empty. The blade I held was devoid of any spirit energy, as it was always. Fight. Keeping my eyes closed I trained, devoid of any negative emotion. The pain of my injuries from other fights thundered in my head, driving stakes of iron in the back of my skull as I tried to remember everything I was ever taught or learned about fighting. My arms and legs where getting shaky and tired from the fear of messing up again. My worst wounds rived in the symphony with my heart beat. Panting, gasping for air because of my training.

Stab, slash, dodge, kick, flash step to the center of the field. Step, step, dodge, slice, hilt smack, curve to avoid an imaginary blow. The sound of sharp steel against steel stopped me in my tracks. My eyes opened, unfocused. My heart hammered in my ribcage. My blade was crossed with someone's that I had never dreamed of meeting in person let alone crossing zonpakutos with. Shuhei Hisagi.

yah this chapter is kinda short...