part one

╔═══ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ═══╗

THE NEW REBELS OF
CALIFORNIA

THE NEW REBELS OF CALIFORNIA

╚═══ ◦ ◦ ◈ ◦ ◦ ═══╝

June 8, 1962

THE THREE APPLETON'S WERE rushing down the empty halls of the new school. They wanted make a good impression—well, Tulip wanted to. But right now, it wasn't working out too well.

Josie just wanted to eat and search the entire small town to find a baseball field, or anywhere that could be used to play baseball. James wanted to do the same thing, or anything that meant being with his twin or spreading chaos. You see, the two of them were joined to the hip. Wherever Josie went, James went. If one was spreading havoc around California, there wasn't a doubt that the other one was right by their side. They don't like to admit their close bond, the both of them having too much pride to lay dependence on one another, but even they know that James couldn't go a day with his sister, the same going for Josie.

Finally reaching the horrible door that held the math class, James dramatically held the door open for both his sisters. The whole class went silent and the teacher paused her explanation once the three teenagers entered the room.

"Ah, what wonderful timing for your first day. Your names?" Josie ignored her snarky remark and read her name on her name tag. Mrs. Miller.

"Josie Appleton. This is James Appleton and Tulip Appleton." Mrs. Miller pointed to three empty seats next to a Hispanic looking boy who fidgeted under the three sibling's stares. They all walked towards the seats, Josie not taking her eyes off him as she sat down in the seat closest to him.

He glanced up at Josie for a moment and blushed when he found her staring at him. A smirk took over her features, ignoring what Mrs. Miller was writing on the board. She found him extremely good looking with his hazel eyes that went well with his naturally tan skin. His lips were full and plump, and his hair was wavy and smooth.

Josie held out her hand, sending him a confident smile. "I'm Josie. Well, you already know that." He nervously looked at her hand before shaking it firmly, also sending her a smile, but it was shy.

"Benny Rodriguez. Er, welcome to California," He said, but it sound more like a question than a friendly greeting. Josie chuckled at that, slightly rolling her eyes, but deep down she liked his shyness.

It made him different from most guys from her neighborhood back in Oregon who
would shout crude remarks. Some were more respectful and would just wink and try putting their hands on her legs or feeling her up. In return they would get a hard punch to the nose, sometimes if she was in a bad mood, she would even knee them in the balls.