Prologue

Thursday, December 30th, 1849, Black Well Island Asylum.

There seemed to be a vicious storm brewing in the city of Manhattan, New York. The wind howled as it barreled its way through the empty streets. No one was around; all were hiding in their homes fearing the storm. The wind barreled its way through the city, tearing apart anything that happened to be in the way. Dark menacing clouds hid the light of the moon, and it soon became clear to all who witnessed such a force of nature that something evil and menacing was about come to fruition. The newly built Black Well Asylum stood alone on a little isle, far away from the reaches of the city and yet many blamed it for the fear and hysteria that filled each and everyone's minds this night. Although it was newly built to house the criminally insane and other mentally sickened people, it was rumored that it was haunted. That it was built on top of an old and abandoned cemetery that not one person visited because they were all afraid of what was lurking in the shadowed forest that surrounded it. Needless to say, it also terrified the staff that was forced to work on the premises, each person whether they were either male or female had to hide their own fearful insecurities before trying to help all those poor souls. One such report was revealed to the head staff of the asylum...

Dr. Even Chase M.D. December 31, 1855)

"I was a new doctor walked into this establishment, which I hoped would be my only source of employment for many years to come. Before I even came to work today... I was so confident I could cure at least some of the men and woman's medical problems who resided here. If only I had known that not all medical problems could be cured. As I walked into the front hall; I felt like I was trapped in a hall of shadows; this daunting place had dark gripping energy and it felt as if it saturated the walls. Perhaps, this void would swallow me up forever I thought. NO! I couldn't think like this, I scolded myself. My duty was to my patients and NOT to my fears and insecurities. Nevertheless, it just sent chills down my spine; the old wallpaper didn't help much either. The paper on the walls and the various decorations, might at once been put up to add a little sunshine and brightness to the place, however, it did no more than add to the creepy vibe of the asylum. It caused the hair on my neck to spike up. I felt like the never-ending moans and the shrilling screams wanted to tear my soul away from my body. I was brought out of my musings when the nurse who was assigned to work with me, placed into my hands the various files of my new patients. The first patient I had to see was a woman named Agatha Turner. As we traveled up the winding stone staircase, I briefly scanned her medical history. She hadn't been at Black Well very long, she was transferred here from another Insane Asylum from Boston. She was emitted in an Asylum such as this one for six years now by her stepsister Ruth Eden. Scrolling my eyes down the paper, I found that she has gone through many kinds of treatments including electroshock therapy. But none has worked! I suppose the director of this asylum who had been friends with my late father, read through my latest findings and was hopeful that I could cure her. Had I known that she had something else well hidden in her room all this time, I would have notified the proper authorities long ago...What were the chances that she had a small boy at the age of five with her? I was unaware that the other nursing staff knew of the boy's existence, but they did nothing about him. Of course, they probably knew better than to take away a child from a terminally ill patient I suppose, while I was doing my rounds, the situation in her room probably went something like this...

"Now, pay close attention, Jason. It's time to put into motion our plan. The Nurses have just informed me of a new doctor who's coming to examine me today. You must leave me today my son, you understand?"

The boy looked to his mother and nodded,

"Yes, mama."

"I already hear the echoes of their footsteps drawing near. Put on your jacket and gather your belongings. I've seen some basic information on the inside of your jacket. Do you remember the instructions, Jason? You must never mention that you are my sister's nephew. Here are the keys I swiped from the head doctor's office, take the side steps and make your way to the Orphan House and make sure that my step-sister takes you in. Then when you grow up, you kill my dear sister! Remember my son, mother loves you."