The Good Fire And The Bad Fire

Akanksha Thakur did not feel enthusiastic.

She admitted, she had joined hands with the boy sitting right in front of her. But one thing she couldn't find an answer to was—what was she to do now? She had given in to his vibrance, but didn't know how to go about it. Moreover, Karan didn't even seem to budge. So, it was just Akanksha being overly conscious. But of course she couldn't help it. Right the other day she had thought that her getting a friend who was a boy was ridiculous. Now she couldn't even face that once-upon-a-time-fact, lying in pieces somewhere in one of the many busy corners of her brain.

'What are you thinking so much about?' Shweta snapped her out of it when the second last period was over, 'You spaced out through most of biology.'
Akanksha's eyes strayed over to Karan's back.
'Wow, wow. Don't tell me.' She leaned in towards her ear, 'Did you guys talk later? During the recess? Because I couldn't find him when I returned to the class.'
Akanksha merely glanced at her. Then with her hand, she motioned to her that she'd inform her about it later.

When school ended, Shweta was about to ask her whatever she had wanted to hear, when Karan stepped in swiftly.
'Akanksha, let's walk home together today.' He announced. Many students stared at the two.
While Shweta was like 'How!!' in her head, Akanksha simply said,
'No.'
'Why?' Karan asked.
Without casting another look at anyone or anything, Akanksha took her bag and slid out of her seat, walking away as rebelliously as possible. Few of the others continued gaping at her, while Shweta said—
'What is going on?' Query directed at the one and only Karan, 'Did she actually—' She paused as Karan leaned in towards her.
'I'm her "boy-friend" now.'
Shweta's eyes widened immediately. As it was spoken and not written, anyone was bound to jump to the only socially possible conclusion.
Or else Karan was just making a big deal of it. Thought Shweta.

'Gotta go catch up with her now.' He waved and jogged away.
Shweta did not avert her eyes. Only, she clutched the strap of her bag tightly.

It took him less than forty five seconds to gain Akanksha's side and walk along with her, once outside school grounds.
They did not talk until they reached the Sagar railing. Akanksha suddenly stiffened at the sight of the railing and realised Karan's eyes were on her. Karan decided to tease her.
He walked over to the edge and placed his hands on the round metal. Precarious mischief glinted in his gaze as he looked back at her. But Akanksha wasn't fazed. In the blink of an eye, she was right beside him and had her arms resting on the railing too.
Karan's blank plan failed.
But only one realization prevailed.
He had earned her trust. Hopefully.

Akanksha inhaled the sea breeze. He observed her.
'You like it? The sea?' He asked.
She turned towards him and nodded.
'I've lived here all my life. So it's pretty guessable.'
'Not really. Not everybody loves the sea just because they live near it.'
'True that. But the majority of the people who do, enjoy it.'
Karan grinned.

Akanksha looked away.
'What about you? The sea? Or the mountains?' Asked she, 'Which one do you like, or, prefer?'
Karan did not hesitate the slightest.
'Rivers. I like rivers.'
'Rivers? That's the first time I've heard that answer. Why?'
Karan stared into the distance.
'Rivers always keep flowing. They start from the mountains. Then they pass through countries, forests, states, cities, towns, villages.' He sighed. 'Then they mix into the sea. Their steadfastness, their sacrifice—inspires me.'
'That's your reason?' The girl said skeptically.
Karan nodded once.

'Is it just me, or are you really this deep?' Said Akanksha. She wasn't really expecting what he said though.
'Yes. It really is just you.' Karan replied quite diligently.
'Huh?'
He suddenly looked into her eyes.
'Somehow—and I've noticed—I can easily say stuff like this whenever I'm around you. Maybe because your intellect can handle it. Not everyone appreciates it when I go into this mode.'
'I think I can understand.'
'But I hope I'm not making you bear with me. If you're getting irritated, just tell me and I'll stop.'
Akanksha did not drop his gaze.

'What are those marks on that wristband of yours which you wear all the time?'
Karan raised his hand.
'This?' He pointed to the white figures on the black piece of woven fabric wrapped around his wrist.
'Yeah.'
Karan smiled.
'It's actually Japanese kanji.'
Akanksha raised an eyebrow.
'Really?'
'You know about it?'
'Not much. But yeah.'
Karan fingered the two embroidered han characters.
'This one stands for fire.' He explained, 'And this one stands for peace.'
'Fire and... peace?'
'Yeah.' Karan slid the band off his wrist and held it in front of his partner's eyes, 'Fire can destroy peace. However, it can bring peace too.'
Akanksha took the black fabric in her hands.
'Like when a house burns down... it's destruction. But on a cold winter night... it's warmth.' She looked up, 'It's peace.'

Karan seemed struck.
'Oh my god, where were you all this time?'
'What do you mean?'
'You understand me so well. I knew there was bound to be someone who'd understand this side of mine.'
'So you admit that you have two sides.'
'I don't remember denying it.'

They resumed walking.

'Remember my question? The one I asked you yesterday?' Karan said, after a while of walking in silence.
Akanksha did not say anything for a few seconds. Then—
'The one about heaven?'
Karan bit his lip enthusiastically.
'Yeah. Will you help me?'
'Help you with what?'
'To get there?'
'Where?'
Karan pursed his lips.
'Oh, you mean there?' Akanksha pointed towards the sky, 'Up in the air?'
Karan punched her shoulder very lightly.
'Higher than that.'
She turned to him.
'Karan,' She paused, 'Are you—'
'Will you help me?' He repeated quietly, staring ahead of him, a small smile etched across his face.
'But—'
'One simple word is enough. Yes, or no?'
Akanksha stared at him blankly.
'No.'

She started walking away.
'Hey!' Karan protested, 'Why do you keep rejecting me all the time?'
'I accepted you as my friend.'
'That's okay but—'
'Look, I don't know what you are thinking. One moment, you're childish and happy, the next moment you're grave and ten times older. I can't read you, you know. Are you sure you're mentally stable?'
Karan's enthusiasm died down all of a sudden. Completely. Akanksha noticed it.
'But I'm still here and you're still here and you're talking to me.' He muttered.
'That's because you won't leave me alone!'

Karan remained quiet as they continued their journey.

Fire and peace.... Thought Akanksha.
If she had to choose between the good fire and the bad fire... A simple no, or a complicated yes...

If it was a matter of choice, wouldn't anyone and everyone want to put their finger on peace?

Then... why was Karan an exception?

When they reached her house, Karan finally spoke up,
'Just in case you're wondering, I'm not mentally retarded. I just have a different way of thinking or looking at things. It all might be absurd—everything I say or think. Different from the typical society and all the stereotypes. But I thought.... I thought you'd understand me. That's the only reason I said it all. That's the only reason I opened myself up to you, and I spoke my mind. Sorry if I didn't phrase it in the most proper way. I was only joking. It's not like there's anything in it that you can help me with.'
Akanksha suddenly felt bad even though it was the slightest tug at her heart. She admitted she had sounded quite harsh.

Karan walked away when she said nothing in return.

She was pondering. Pondering.
What could she say? What could she do? How many other people meet such a weird person in their life? Was Karan just weird?
Well... she only had his word for it....

One thought remained in her head as she rang the doorbell to her house.

If someone had to choose between the bad fire or the good one....

Wouldn't everyone want the latter?
~~~